Saga "On The Loose"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:19 pm

It's funny how relatively well this tune has aged! That surprised me!

As a (recovering) '80s teenager, I was all ready to dismiss this as the cheesy pap I remember. But after listening to it, there's something sort of proggy and slickly Euro pop about it that seems kinda sorta relevant now. You know?

Must be all that Killers and Interpol seeping into our collective taste centers. I can't believe I just said that.

Aj

P.S. Lead singer has a sort of Freddie Mercury thing going on. Not in his voice, but in his stage presence and mannerisms...
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:02 pm

this song has always DESTROYED, and still does. Love it!

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Thank you. At last something to drown out the opening synth line from "Take Me To the Top" by Loverboy that has been playing constantly in my head. Though I swear I've not heard it since I was 11 years old.

Enjoy/suffer here: http://www.last.fm/music/Loverboy/_/Take+me+to+the+Top

You can waterboard me, put me under oath, and give me sodium pentathol. I will still deny any recollection of participating in this thread.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:15 pm

If you love this song there is a whole pile of other terrifyingly bad but catch as hell 80's Canadian music that you might love. I see your Saga and raise you Trooper, April Wine, Molly Hatchet, Triumph, Max Webster, Goddo, Loverboy, Aldo Nova, Rough Trade, The Parachute Club, Luba, and the Spoons. There are more but thinking about this too much makes me barf. As a Canadian who grew up in the 70's and 80's it took me years to believe that good music could be made in this country.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:45 pm

April Wine's "Just Between You And Me" got played a lot on early early MTV, so that one's drilled in good and solid. Ditto Aldo Nova's "Fantasy."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:17 pm

junkshop wrote:If you love this song there is a whole pile of other terrifyingly bad but catch as hell 80's Canadian music that you might love. I see your Saga and raise you Trooper, April Wine, Molly Hatchet, Triumph, Max Webster, Goddo, Loverboy, Aldo Nova, Rough Trade, The Parachute Club, Luba, and the Spoons. There are more but thinking about this too much makes me barf. As a Canadian who grew up in the 70's and 80's it took me years to believe that good music could be made in this country.
What, no Chilliwack?

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:15 pm

So, during rehearsal tonight, I discovered that the band I was playing bass with had this:
Notice the intact tag on the left side of the sticker.
Mint. In. Freaking. Box.
Its going up in the basement.
Prog out with your cog out.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:54 am

CraigS63 wrote:
junkshop wrote:If you love this song there is a whole pile of other terrifyingly bad but catch as hell 80's Canadian music that you might love. I see your Saga and raise you Trooper, April Wine, Molly Hatchet, Triumph, Max Webster, Goddo, Loverboy, Aldo Nova, Rough Trade, The Parachute Club, Luba, and the Spoons. There are more but thinking about this too much makes me barf. As a Canadian who grew up in the 70's and 80's it took me years to believe that good music could be made in this country.
What, no Chilliwack?
There are more but thinking about this too much makes me barf.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:28 pm

But Molly Hatchet wasn't from Canada. Or was there another band called Molly Hatchet? Or maybe you're just trying to see who's paying attention?

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 pm

jv wrote: But Molly Hatchet wasn't from Canada. Or was there another band called Molly Hatchet? Or maybe you're just trying to see who's paying attention?
Wouldn't they be Molly Hatchet Canada?
Or would there be a Molly Hatchet US running around somewhere?
Really, this universe isn't big enough for two Molly Hatchets. If they ever actually met, I think it be a disaster of cosmic proportions.
Prog out with your cog out.