Recording on LOW budget gear

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Recording on LOW budget gear

Post by douglas baldwin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:09 am

I'd love to get some feedback on a couple of songs I've recorded - actually the same song recorded twice, on virtually the same gear.

Here's the gear poop:
Vocals, guitars and violin recorded with MXL 990 and 991 microphones.
Good guitars (Yamaha, Hamer), all made overseas. Nice tube amps.
Top shelf Alembic bass.
Zoom 201 (?) drum machine.
Recorded, mixed, effected etc. totally inside a Korg D1600mkII workstation. Monitors are some Rat Shack speakers with a great-sounding ribbon-type driver for the hoghs and replacement woofers from Parts Express (about $60), along with big old Polk 10A speakers.
All done in a small 12 x 15 room lined with books and instruments.

Once you go to the web site, the two recordings should explain themselves pretty well, and there's a groovy poll box you can click your responses into. It's a quick little kinda pop-psychedelic song, written by a good friend back in 1969 or so.

Here you go:
http://www.thecoyote.org/listen.cfm

Hey, and now that I got this thread started, I'd love to hear from others here working with the low-end stuff.

Thanks in advance!
dB

ps - ALL the music on my site was done with similar gear. You'll see/hear that I'm also big into looping/ambient stuff, all done with a Boss GT-3 or GT-8 for effecting the guitar and a couple of Boss DD-20 long delay pedals.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:08 pm

Cool. And the part about the song being almost 40 years old is interesting too.

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:53 pm

i like the sound of this. nice sounds and textures.

i did my last album, a couple of years ago, entirely on a D1600. they're great machines!

actually, my ambient double cd, free on my main website, was done all on the D1600, too.

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:12 am

Thanx for the comments, guys.

Y'know, I ALMOST got involved with the "Stupid Stuff You Did in High School" project, 'cuz Jeff Wheeler, the composer of "Postmortal Postman," was in high school when he wrote it, and we were in a band together (humbly named "Wisdom") at the time and, yes, I was in high school too. And we had the most amazing summer in 1970 where all five of us (ranging in age from 16 to 21) moved from Long Island NY up to Boston and played all original music in free concerts in parks all over the Boston/Cambridge/Allston area and starved to death.

And yes, we have numerous recordings to prove it. Which someday I'll upload for the world to hear.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:40 pm

douglas baldwin wrote:...all over the Boston/Cambridge/Allston area and starved to death.
i'm in allston now myself!