Two songs, tell me what you think?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Two songs, tell me what you think?

Post by vivalastblues » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:51 am

Recorded these for a friend of mine on a Tascam 38. The preamp used (which is the only one I have currently) is pretty mediocre, just a $200 8-in-er, and some not-fantastic mics. The best mic we used was a Rode NT1 on the vocals and a couple of the guitars. It's bass, drums, two guitars, a slide guitar, and vocals.

Please let me know what you think, I'm particularly interested to hear of ways I could improve the sounds of the individual instruments (if anyone can scrape through the muck).

www.myspace.com/gideonbensen

thanks!!

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 am

i think it sounds pretty good!

my main issue is the drum sound. the kick is a bit lost in there. are the drum tracks all separate or mixed already? maybe you used only one or two mics on the drums, and just some adjustments in mic placement is all you need.

also everything has a little bit of a dullness sonically, and a good bit of life can likely be brought to them with some eq'ing.

overall i think it's a good job, esp given your gear restrictions. i tend to dig stuff that's a little imperfect anyway, so perhaps someone else can give you some more detailed and more helpful suggestions to improve stuff. barring that, give a try to some eq'ing on those tracks and mixing again, see if that doesn't help things out a little.

good luck!