rpm 2009 submissions

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

rpm 2009 submissions

Post by dave watkins » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 pm

so if anyone is interested, here are the songs i finished up for the rpm challenge this february. comments are appreciated since a lot of these are works in progress, but should be fairly enjoyable at this stage (minus the mp3 compression of course) enjoy:

http://davewatkins.rpmchallenge.com/

thanks for listening,
dave watkins
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:38 am

just started listening -- i'm really liking this a lot. the drums sound really cool. are the mics just sitting across the room from the kit? whatever you're doing, i like it.

there's a lot of nice space throughout, and i'm a sucker for that plaintive piano sound in "great sea..."

in the interest of consolidating RPM challenges on the tapeop board, here's one from me and a handful of my buddies:

http://theelderly.rpmchallenge.com

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:19 pm

thanks, those drums are the result of some fairly cheap stuff working well together, and the all important sound of actual rooms. there is no reverb effect applied after tracking on the drums.

cascade fathead overhead (about 3 feet up), and a cascade V57 ldc off to the side in a glyn johns type fashion and then a heil pr 30 just inside the kick. the real secret is that i have one of those $50 behringer omni mics in an adjacent room that is all hard surfaces. that provides the room/chamber sound, and i can bring up the fader to provide more or less room sound, and it's squashed a bit too. there are a bunch of other songs that will be on my final record whenever that happens that'll use this setup too. pretty stoked about it, it's simple and seems to fit in the sound of the songs pretty well.

anyway thanks for the kind words, i'll have to listen to some more of your stuff, but damn that fuzzed up bass right at the beginning is pretty killer!
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:23 am

that omni mic in the reflective sideroom definitely sounds like the secret weapon, man. really awesome sound.

i just got a fathead myself earlier this year. those things are excellent.

dave watkins wrote:thanks, those drums are the result of some fairly cheap stuff working well together, and the all important sound of actual rooms. there is no reverb effect applied after tracking on the drums.

cascade fathead overhead (about 3 feet up), and a cascade V57 ldc off to the side in a glyn johns type fashion and then a heil pr 30 just inside the kick. the real secret is that i have one of those $50 behringer omni mics in an adjacent room that is all hard surfaces. that provides the room/chamber sound, and i can bring up the fader to provide more or less room sound, and it's squashed a bit too. there are a bunch of other songs that will be on my final record whenever that happens that'll use this setup too. pretty stoked about it, it's simple and seems to fit in the sound of the songs pretty well.

anyway thanks for the kind words, i'll have to listen to some more of your stuff, but damn that fuzzed up bass right at the beginning is pretty killer!