Spotify now requires Facebook account

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Frickety
audio school

Spotify now requires Facebook account

Post by Frickety » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:37 pm

http://online.wsj.com/video/spotify-now ... 121BB.html

..which linked from a story about how FB tracks you even when you're logged out.
..which I read one day after reading
http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/why-yo ... -now-0445/

So, yeah.

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:33 am

That is the game being changed.

Didn't you know?

We already worked all this out.

Spotify is thunderously blazing new trails and changing old rules. Just you wait...

:twisted:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:09 am

Yeah, they just made their whole catalog available to the OVER 800 MILLION USERS on the most popular social networking site ever. That's not even worth commenting on. So insignificant. It's definitely not worth the time of a user who accused another user of working for Spotify, to justify digging up a month old post, with no replies, just because it pertained to Spotify. No, definitely not.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 am

alf wrote:Spotify is thunderously blazing new trails and changing old rules. Just you wait...
BTW, please don't think it's gone unnoticed that the topic of this thread is actually about Spotify thunderously blazing new trails and changing old rules. You don't have to wait. The future is now.

The only way this could conceivably be viewed as anything other than blazing new trails and changing old rules, is if you're not one of the 800 MILLION users of FB.

If that's you, then I understand how this would not seem like a big deal to you. And, I'm sure that you'll still have plenty of other avenues for discovering and purchasing music. But, just because Facebook and Spotify are not for you, doesn't make their contribution insignificant. Maybe it isn't that they're not culturally significant changes, but instead that you're growing more detached from things that are culturally significant?

Anyway, to each his own. I said in the other thread that nobody is forced to sign up for Spotify. Consumers have plenty of other ways to get music. And, artists are still perfectly within their rights to withhold their music from any outlet or distributor that they choose.

And, Re: Facebook privacy concerns.... I could set up a Facebook account in less than 5 minutes that contains ZERO private personal information about me, and links to ZERO friends. This could allow me to access Spotify with ZERO concerns for privacy.

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:08 pm

So, this is the second time you've chosen to just stir up shit rather than participate in a discussion. Thanks for your contribution to the community.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm

[...distant footsteps on the grass lawn...]

[...key being inserted into lock...]

[...key turns, door knob turns, door squeaks open...]

[...footsteps on wooden floor...]

[... faint key presses on a computer keyboard...]

I came here to read this?

Man, thank God I have work to do...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:07 am

Nick Sevilla wrote: [...footsteps on wooden floor...]

[...key being inserted into lock...]

[...key turns, door knob turns, door squeaks open...]
Tell the Moon-dog, tell the March-hare
Tell the Moon-dog, tell the March-hare
We...have...heaven

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 am

I saw the thread and thought it was funny.

You wanna get teary eyed and read WAAAAY too much into a message board post that's your problem.

And by the way, Take a few minutes after you write your 10 paragraph response to this, that way you can make it all one post.

And if it upsets you so much. You don't have to read my "contributions to the community" It's real easy not to. Just don't read my posts dude. I know, I know, the opportunity to prove your superiority is important, but remember, only to you. I haven't dogged any of your posts. I haven't PM'd you. I didn't bring your name up. I didn't resurrect an ancient post. I don't spend time devising some nefarious "plan" to hurt your feelings or challenge your authority.

Get over yourself.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 am

So, back on topic.... what do you guys think of Spotify tying their service to Facebook? I can definitely see how it would be annoying if you're not a FB user. But, I think it's pretty smart to make it easily and readily available to FB's enormous user base. And, let's face it, vast majorities of the music consuming demographic are using FB every day already. Also, as I've said before, a big part of what I like about Spotify is the social aspect. They've implemented music discovery in a way that perfectly mimics how most young people already discover almost everything.

And, again, I'm not married to Spotify as the company that's going to win when the dust settles on this new paradigm. But, they've definitely mainstreamed the idea of subscription services. I have a very large circle of music and music industry friends and acquaintances. And, I never saw or heard any of them mention Rhapsody or Napster... Most, who were digital music users, preferred a combination of iTunes and eMusic. I would love to see the numbers on how many people cancelled their eMusic subscriptions within a month of Spotify's launch. I did. I know several friends who did.

I'm not really sure why they require a Facebook account. I don't know why the Spotify service wouldn't have worked fine with and without FB integration. But, as a FB user, I do appreciate the integration. It's just another great option for music discovery for me.

I guess I just don't get the downside. I mean, I read about the paranoia and everything.... but, as I said, you can easily have a FB page and a Spotify account without ever HAVING to share any private information with anyone.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:38 pm

this spotify-facebook deal happened because sean parker (dude played by justin timberlake in 'the social network', billionaire you rarely hear about in the media at least compared to mark zuckerberg, onetime napster cofounder or some shit) owns a fairly large stake in spotify.

parker has repeatedly demonstrated knack for anticipating the next big thing over and over again, getting in the middle of it somehow, and making shitloads of money, all while remaining [relatively] obscure.

what this all has to do with mic placement and "this &^%^%$ computer!" is beyond me, but here we are.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:40 pm

chris harris wrote:
And, Re: Facebook privacy concerns.... I could set up a Facebook account in less than 5 minutes that contains ZERO private personal information about me, and links to ZERO friends. This could allow me to access Spotify with ZERO concerns for privacy.
*ahem*

tracking cookies. algorithmic facial recognition. rapleaf. etc

yeah, good luck w/ that "ZERO concerns for privacy" plan of yours

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Why not just make an account for facebook that has no pictures or info and just use it to sign in with Spotify. No big deal, problem solved.

What I want to know is how to get MY music on Spotify. My band Stationary Odyssey somehow already got on there, but I have lots of other stuff as well.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Why not just make an account for facebook that has no pictures or info and just use it to sign in with Spotify. No big deal, problem solved.
I guess because they can put "tracking cookies" on your computer and find where you are and come to your house and....... uh....

All of these privacy violations are about marketing. And, for me, ignoring target advertisements is just as easy as ignoring random advertisements.

I guess I just put the whole privacy issue through a personal cost/benefit analysis. I've determined that corporations having my "private" information on file with the other 800 million users isn't a big enough risk to offset the useful benefits of the technology.
Brett Siler wrote:What I want to know is how to get MY music on Spotify. My band Stationary Odyssey somehow already got on there, but I have lots of other stuff as well.
http://www.tunecore.com

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:57 pm

chris harris wrote:
Brett Siler wrote:Why not just make an account for facebook that has no pictures or info and just use it to sign in with Spotify. No big deal, problem solved.
I guess because they can put "tracking cookies" on your computer and find where you are and come to your house and....... uh....

All of these privacy violations are about marketing. And, for me, ignoring target advertisements is just as easy as ignoring random advertisements.

I guess I just put the whole privacy issue through a personal cost/benefit analysis. I've determined that corporations having my "private" information on file with the other 800 million users isn't a big enough risk to offset the useful benefits of the technology.
Brett Siler wrote:What I want to know is how to get MY music on Spotify. My band Stationary Odyssey somehow already got on there, but I have lots of other stuff as well.
http://www.tunecore.com
you are giving the benefit of the doubt to very wealthy and powerful people here. people who operate more or less without accountability in designing the architecture of the future's worldwide info-routing systems. and these folks (just google for rapleaf, to cite a relatively innocuous example) are busy hoarding everything they can about every user. and they are creating algorithms that are waaaay better at profiling individual people than anything the world's gov'ts have been able to develop so far. and you have no idea what the world will be like in 40 years (just think for a sec about the difference between europe in 1900 and europe in 1940, for example)

i suggest that you adopt a less trusting stance towards privacy and so forth. it's not just about targeting ads and whatnot. that's just what the google/facebook higher-ups want you to think.

i know many of you will sneer at this post, thinking i am overreacting/paranoid/etc. that's fine. thanks for reading. cheers