New ep. Indie Folk/Bluegrass

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

AMradio
studio intern

New ep. Indie Folk/Bluegrass

Post by AMradio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:11 pm

So we just put our ep up on noisetrade if anyone wants to try it out. http://noisetrade.com/thescrips

Story behind this... I have an indie rock band called The Southern Sea, but started a side project completely devoted to live performance and acoustic instruments. New territory for me...all around. Recording, playing and writing....etc. Took me about 2 years to learn to play the banjo clawhammer style (got a ton to learn still). This is our maiden voyage in recording this type of music.

There's a ton of room sound....good or bad...in this ep, but it's growing on me...but will probably change up a few things next time.

Details:
We had 6 hours and recorded 5 songs....live. Recorded in a very small chapel with pews and a wood floor with vaulted ceiling.

Mics:

AT 414 (used to record stereo midside)
Sure pencil condenser (can't remember what that was) used for the "center"
Blueberry - on guitar and female vocals
Oktava 319 - banjo male vocal
Sure dynamic (forgot) on the upright bass
Another condenser on fiddle

Pres
Neve 2 channel (one of the newer ones) for the 319 and blue mic
Built in pres in the Apogee Ensemble

recorded into logic.

Next time want to mic the banjo and guitar too so we'll have a little more to work with in the mixing phase.

So, enjoy...if you like this sort of stuff. Been really getting into Old Time stuff of late...mostly because of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings.

http://noisetrade.com/thescrips

-brad

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:48 am

Enjoyed the music and got into the old time trance. Thanks for posting it.