Live Classical Recording...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Live Classical Recording...

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:13 pm

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 am

on my "good" speakers with my less-than-audiophile ears I hear no phase issues. Very listenable, indeed. Ya did it.
Thank you for sharing your work.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:23 am

No, thank you for listening and for the nice comments!
I'm pretty happy with the sound too.

GJ

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:40 am

If I am correct in assuming you did the whole concerto, did you need to "pump up" the 2nd movement? Are you "allowed" to do that?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Nice! Nothing like a little Beethoven in the morning... sheesh, is it afternoon already...?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey AS, Joel...

Yeah, I actually was concerned about the ettiquette (sp?) of recording classical music, and these folks are _very_ concerned with their sound... We did the sound-reinforcement gig as well, and they ordered the whole PA, we just had to set-up and run it. They ordered special LDC mikes to get "the true sound," despite our pleas for dynamics and how much better they would be for a live situation. They had compressors for the PA, but we didn't wire them in; we just wanted to go as "pure" as possible, considering the vibe of the music and audience.

Anyway, for the recording part, I just used three mikes (two really) in a modified/cheesed-up Decca Tree-- a Rode stereo microphone, and an Akai battery-powered sdc. I ran that into a mixer (Behringer)-->Zoom H1-->Sony Walkman Pro for back-up. I just dialed-in decent levels (thank God we had a rehearsal), and baby-sat during the show.

Back in the studio, I used "normalization" and a Steinberg loudness maximizer plug-in for "mastering," but I made sure that any dynamic processing was applied in such a way that all of the original dynamic highs and lows remained intact-- no hard squashing or anything, just an overall maximization that brought the total level up, because I had a somewhat quieter input level (there was also a large chorus ensemble, and they kept blowing-out the meters). So the processing was more corrective than aesthetic. I think I may have used very, very minimal EQ.

The piano player, who is dynamite, made a few mistakes during his first open solo section. I've thought about doing some editing and letting them hear it, but it would be soooo "cheating," and I have a responsibility not to get them addicted...

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 am

Gregg Juke wrote:... and I have a responsibility not to get them addicted...
Huh-wha? Your only responsibility is to say "the first one's for free"!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:50 am

(Cue: maniacal, diabolical laughter--)

"MuHuHuHuHaHaHaHahahahaaaaaaaaaaa..."

GJ