Tom Rush "Urge For Going" from last Saturday night

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Tom Rush "Urge For Going" from last Saturday night

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 am

http://www.joelpatterson.us/tagged/audio

Believe me or not, what you're listening to is a Tascam DR-05 handheld stereo recorder that runs on two AA batteries and is about the size of the earliest cell phones, resting on the arm of a chair in the theater. Future, meet has arrived!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for sharing, Joel. I have a tascam dr-07 and I use it all the time for gigs, practices, or just when I have an idea I want to record quickly and not fire up the computer/set up mics/etc. It's a useful tool.

I like the story about Joni that he tells in the beginning. He's getting to be an artist I really appreciate - when I was a kid I'd come across his albums all the time in record stores since I was often checking for Rush albums, and wonder what he was all about.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Is this about incontinence? My dog has that sometimes. She's getting up in years.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 pm

I was honestly on the hazy side of vagueness when I got the call about doing sound for the show... I knew I knew the name... sorta... and he turned out to be the archetypal natural showman, during his sets I kept thinking it all coulda been happening at a carnival a few centuries ago, the tale-weaving storyteller with his guitar, doesn't get simpler nor more entertaining than that...

MISTER Ubertar, you have been watching too many television commercials!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:06 pm

The funny thing is, I only watch maybe one to two hours of tv a week, and always mute the commercials, but somehow that one slipped by the filters.

Finally broke down and got the fiber optic tv thing. They gave us a deal where it actually cost less to get it than not get it, with our phone and internet. Plus the broadcast reception is horrible (though the picture is great, when it comes in) which there's no excuse for, this being NYC.

My wife's parents are big Tom Rush fans. They've got a bunch of his records. I like what I've heard.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Wanted to listen, but can't for some reason. I even re-installed flash. Is this
Tom Rush ?Urge For Going? 7:10
supposed to be clickable? For me, it isn't. I'm not blocking any scripts on your page; I'm accepting cookies (oatmeal raisin, preferably) and still, nothing.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 am

ubertar wrote:Wanted to listen, but can't for some reason. I even re-installed flash. Is this
supposed to be clickable? For me, it isn't. I'm not blocking any scripts on your page; I'm accepting cookies (oatmeal raisin, preferably) and still, nothing.
Did you try clicking the little triangle above the 'Tom Rush ?Urge For Going? 7:10'?

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 am

lyman wrote:
ubertar wrote:Wanted to listen, but can't for some reason. I even re-installed flash. Is this
Did you try clicking the little triangle above the 'Tom Rush ?Urge For Going? 7:10'?
There is no triangle.
It just says [Flash 9 is required to listen to audio.]
I have the current version of flash.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:22 am

I guess for some reason my website doesn't like your kind, must be...

Here is the link to the file on tindeck, theoretically you should be able to click the link, it will take you to the page the the file will start playing automatically...

http://tindeck.com/listen/duoi
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:11 am

That works-- thanks! Listening now.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 am

Nice song. I can't help but think about peeing during the chorus, unfortunately, though the song pre-dates those ads by decades. There's some kind of peak in the high end that makes it very slightly brittle sounding, and his speaking voice sibilant-- not surprising given the little electret condensers those hand-held recorders have. It's a subtle thing, and overall the sound is good. Does the recorder have inputs for external mics? It might be worth trying out some different mics with it in the studio to see what sounds best with it before the next live recording.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

You may see it show up in one of those commercials yet... I guess that's up to Joni Mitchelll...?

It talks about "plug-in power" on the 1/8" jack... there must be stereo mics made precisely for this application... maybe a dual ribbon, he asks hopefully....?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net