Albums the TOMB board turned you onto?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:39 pm

It's not really an album in the traditional sense, but I have to mention it: www.tedm.com is something I'd never have stumbled upon without this board's help, and as such it warrants mention in this thread.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Dub Trio: Joel Hamilton mentioned them in a thread, I tracked the record down, and wow!

Casualties of Jazz: Kind of Black: A TOMB member recorded this, an album of hammond trio versions of Sabbath tunes. Absolutely rules!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Everything Kelley Stoltz has ever done.
+1

Just bought his catalog...well, except The past was Faster, which was out of stock.

Mid-fi goodness, you go with that bad 388 there Kelley :D !

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:31 pm

East River Pipe and Dub Trio. I didn't like either one, but I learned a valuable lesson- ignore messageboard and magazine hype, even if it's from credible sources. Same goes for gear, actually.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:12 pm

i definitely happened upon I Hear A New World by Joe Meek and the Blue Men because of the frequent mention of Joe Meek around here. i love that record, especially to put on at work calls and prior to house opening at my ballet gig. there's nothing like a whole bunch of people walking around going what the fuck is this? which of course makes me like it more.

i didn't check out Fleet Foxes even though they were getting a lot of hype until i started reading threads about them here.

also this past year there was a fantastic thread on David Axelrod, which got me listening to his stuff.

another interesting thing that happens from time to time with both the magazine and the board, is that i'll be reading and i'll just end up being like "holy shit, so and so worked on this album that i love?" which usually gets me searching for more they have done. in recent memory the Scott Solter article did this big time, ended up checking out Pattern is Movement Lazarus, and some other cool stuff. and of course stuff that folks like Larry or Joel have played some part in. i personally really enjoy the fact that if i am playing Bon Ivor on my computer's itunes playlist, Traineater comes right after it. oh alphabetical order. :D
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

minorkeylee
gettin' sounds

Post by minorkeylee » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm way behind....but I sure appreciate finding Elbow and Bon Iver through all the good folks here.