Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Mon May 14, 2007 9:48 am

cozrulz wrote:Nickelback or any band that sounds or wants to sound like them.
Yup!!, and Alice in Chains & Bush too....
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Mon May 14, 2007 12:52 pm

The Fray. Many songs, one annoying melody. Makes me want to rip my head off.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon May 14, 2007 2:32 pm

You know, I might be missing something, but everytime I hear the Arcade Fire, I think, "Is this good? Why is everyone gaga about them? This sucks." I'd rather listen to Radiohead.

And I hate Radiohead too.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon May 14, 2007 3:07 pm

I can't stand that "Feel the Rain on your Skin" song. Unwritten I think.

That dissonant orchestra stab on the downbeats of the chorus ruins the whole song. It's supposed to be uplifting! That chord changes the whole feel of the chorus...unstable, incomplete. Just bad.

So I hate them for screwing up a servicable Mix96/Eaylistening song, even though I don't listen to those stations.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon May 14, 2007 5:28 pm

I heard something the other day that made me angry.

A soft-jazz version of Brubeck's Take Five, with soprano sax and synths.

IN 4/4 TIME!
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Mon May 14, 2007 9:35 pm

evanescence. over-sing much? oh yeah, and kid rock is absolutely the most heinous person on earth.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:25 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
IN 4/4 TIME!
Take one out?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 am

Avril Lavigne bothers me.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue May 15, 2007 8:49 am

apropos of nothing wrote:You know, I might be missing something, but everytime I hear the Arcade Fire, I think, "Is this good? Why is everyone gaga about them? This sucks."
i first heard them when they were on SNL a little while back. from all the talk about them i assumed they were gonna be this really cool hip band...and man it was all i could do to sit through one song. it sounded like 80s springsteen without the melody. awful. i really don't see the appeal at all.

while i'm complaining...my coworker here at my day job always listens to new school r'n'b on her computer. none of these people EVER SHUT UP. ever. "OHHHH-OOOOOOO-OOOOOHHHHH-OOOOOO-WOOOAAAAHHHHAAA-BAAAAAAAYYYY-AAAAAAAYYYYY-AAAAAAAYYYYY-AAAYYY-BEEEEEEEEEEEE."

from the start of the song all the way to the bitter end. my kingdom for a 4 bar instrumental break.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue May 15, 2007 10:47 am

i agree with 100% of what everyone said except alice in chains.
in my opinion that shit rocks. i only wish i could have seen them in concert.layne staley was the real deal.... kind of like curt cobain.
no wanna be rock star their. the guitars and bass lines are wicked awesome, the drummer is a real drummer, the lyrics were definitely dark and twisted but they were origional and honest.no one sounded like layne. No one. it's not something you can listen to all the time as it really is too dark and negative for my taste but
one of my favorites from them is what the hell have i, and heaven beside you.
they are definitely definitely not in the same shitty class as nickel back. they're more in the league of metallica, Tool, Sound Garden, rage against the machine,smashing pumpkins. IE early 90's alternative/grunge music which you would have heard at lollapalooza and any warp tour.
definitely not the same stuff as the the new cheap,shallow, unorigional, lifeless cookie cutter predictable shitty music that everyone is talking about. they deserve a little more credit than that.
i hate the new rap that has no origionality at all with the most rediuclous lyrics. everyone stealing shit from everyone. i hate the emo music with all the whinny voices hiding behind their very loud guitars, and i hate and loathe praise and worship music. oh my god do you wanna talk about robots, check that out. it is so weird.
just my opinion.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue May 15, 2007 11:12 am

versuviusx wrote:no one sounded like layne. No one.
not even Layne himself. I'd be willing to bet that most of what people liked about his voice was coming from Jerry Cantrell.

as far as bands that piss me off....

the bands that show up to the club or the studio and seem to have never, ever even considered what their instruments sound like.. those guys piss me off.
the bands that plug a $1500 Les Paul into a Line 6 or Crate "stack"... those guys piss me off.
bands whose members get in the studio and say, "wow, I never even knew that that's what you were playing on that part!"... they piss me off.
bands that ask me my rates before ANYTHING ELSE... those bands piss me off.
bands that make great recordings with me and then sit around on their asses not doing anything with it... those bands piss me off.

those things piss me off because they have an effect on my life.

some no talent band out there making a living passing off shit music to people who don't even know the difference has very little emotional effect on me. certainly not anything to get angry about.

if you wanna get pissed about the state of music, get pissed at the listeners for having poor taste and for being suckers for sexy marketing and hype.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 15, 2007 11:37 am

For the record, I saw Alice in Chains in 1992 and it made me hate them even more.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:57 am

I think it's funny that bands are covering songs I hated by the original artists. Like, now I have to hear it again only worse. And Christian screamo, makes me want to worship Satan, smoke fiberglass, and kill a religious leader in my community FUCK. :evil:
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue May 15, 2007 12:21 pm

you can smoke fiberglass? sweeeeeeeet.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:26 pm

yeah most people don't know that. But it's pretty cool.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."