Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 am

Back on topic:

Yanni. Kitaro. John Tesch. Anybody connected with Riverdance, past and present. Anybody connected with Andrew Lloyd Webber. All American Rejects.

I'll stop for now.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Help me love again

Post by johnny7 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:12 am

treble king wrote: Everything this guy's done..
HEY, how'd you find my website?

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Thu May 17, 2007 4:01 pm

um...pet shop boys...duran duran...limp bizkit...coldplay.

on a related note, just about anything nic harcourt thinks is cool is bound to suck, like a whole lot.

a little off-topic, but most earnest show tunes make me want to drown someone in their own vomitus...

thank you- i feel better now.

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

Post by virtualguthrie » Thu May 17, 2007 8:56 pm

311- the cover they did of Love Song really pissed me off and I don't even like The Cure. They didn't change it a bit, how uncreative can you be?

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

Post by virtualguthrie » Thu May 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Oasis- F$%# them

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 pm

kdarr wrote:"House of Jealous Lovers" by The Rapture.

That guy's cat-screech voice makes me want to commit Seppuku.

with a spoon.

[<|>]
Oh man, the other one is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Not only do I hate the name, but the intentional voice crack thing just makes me SO ANGRY.

RRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHoh fuck i'm turning greenNGGGGRRRRRRHHHH!!

HULK SMAAAAASH!!! AAAAAAUGH!!!

[<|>]

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri May 18, 2007 9:54 am

Pop country, U2, Dave Mathews, any band that includes more than 1 sample of someone elses work, per album and of course as the dude would say "The Eagles"

I'm glad you said "Bands" and not music as I don't consider the above and many other "things" music.

I guess a band can be any group, not necessarly formed to create music.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 18, 2007 10:04 am

virtualguthrie wrote:Oasis- F$%# them
their records sure sound bad, but i will admit a soft spot for a few songs on 'what's the story'. i can't not like them.

those of you who have that record, tell me if i am nuts...'champagne supernova'...is that vocal REALLY on top? i heard it on the radio the other night and thought it sounded way way way ahead of the beat. just wondering.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri May 18, 2007 10:07 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
virtualguthrie wrote:Oasis- F$%# them
their records sure sound bad, but i will admit a soft spot for a few songs on 'what's the story'. i can't not like them.

those of you who have that record, tell me if i am nuts...'champagne supernova'...is that vocal REALLY on top? i heard it on the radio the other night and thought it sounded way way way ahead of the beat. just wondering.
I'm the same way with them. Wish I didn't really like some songs, because Liam seems like the earth's most hugest asshole.
Yeah, champaigne supernova - definitely. That whole album is mixed terribly, too, IMHO.

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by treble king » Fri May 18, 2007 10:34 am

When Oasis douche sings, "Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeennnnnn" I want the nukes to come.

I had no idea you could make a career out of having a 5 o'clock shadow.
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:47 am

I really don't get Oasis or the fans. Super international assholes. Awesome!
Oasis needs to do a comeback screamo Christian/gangster rap album, with Fred Durst on Kick drum. Why do I even care?

Just calm down, turn the dial, .....ah modern country, what a great one-liner...
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 18, 2007 11:02 am

i presume you mean fred durst AS kick drum. that'd be nice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 20, 2007 9:25 am

ok, i don't know if maroon 5 have been mentioned in this thread yet, but

maroon 5.

somehow i'd managed to escape hearing them until SNL last night. OMGWTFBBQ. HOW on earth does anyone like that shit? i mean i seriously can't understand how anyone anywhere could possibly hear that and find it pleasant to listen to.

that guys voice? WTF? who told him he could sing? he can't. he sounds like a robot impersonating (heh) a dog with its tail being stepped on. totally painful. and the vocal melody was that same sorta thing that drives me up a wall about the emo boy bands: it's not really melodic at all. yeah there are 'notes' in series which technically form a 'melody' but it's not at all catchy or engaging.

bleah. reading about these guys in the past, it seems like people would always say something like 'yeah they're not my thing, but they are really good songwriters.' WHAT? those are the kind of songs a bunch of accountants in a boardroom would write. dear lord. everything about it was like they went out of their way to make it as unremarkable as possible.

and they aren't even that good looking. the singer guy i suppose would be handsome if he had a less stupid haircut and didn't look so incredibly uncomfortable and constipated up there, but the rest of 'em just look like average shmoes to me.

and while i'm ranting, i hate hate hate it when lame bands, who in their heart of hearts KNOW they're lame, are on tv and have to make it seem like they're REALLY INTO playing their utterly pedestrian, inoffensive by design "rock music". yeah drummer guy, you are really swinging it now. yeah keyboard guy, that E chord you've been holding down for the past 16 bars is really getting you going isn't it.

sorry for the rant, but i really was astounded at how all encompassing the badness was.

MAROON 5: 0
COFFEE: 1

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon May 21, 2007 3:45 am

Rich kid bands. I cannot stand people who have record deals and get a good shot at getting big simply because they have the dough to get a lawyer and push it and all that. They can afford teams of people like stylists who are bankrolled and float around them even though they aren't making any money to support that kind of thing. They have glorious home studios (though those are just for demos...they pay big money for real studio time), the most expensive trendiest gear etc. They can afford not to work and just bang on doors and have their daddy set up appointments with the people over at Island and stuff like that. They call the Matrix on their way to the Island appointment and get themselves a hit sounding tune to present there. They learn it after the meeting. That's what rock and roll is really stating to be about. It seems to me that if you aren't born with dough and your dad wasn't the drummer in Bad Compnay or something, you aren't getting anywhere as far as the "big time" goes. It kills me when sometimes I get into a band and then I found out they're a rich kid band through some connections here or there and it makes their music so much less meaningful.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon May 21, 2007 8:49 am

Thank you to the last 2 posters. I don't have more to add.