new sonic youth

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

nutate
ass engineer

new sonic youth

Post by nutate » Tue May 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Rather Ripped. I won't make any initial comment. That link will resize your browser window. They put the songs up streaming from their site for the time being.

--- ok some comments
(things that are perhaps in there: Sterling Morrison, early New Order on the instrumentals, ... yeah more velvet underground sounding stuff)
http://www.myspace.com/clarkeight "Digital fuzz and a fifth of gin..."

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:27 pm

I dig it - I like how Kim Gordon is singing. Lots of clean guitar sounds. Recorded at Sear Sound mostly, and it sounds amazing. So far the songs are a little bit more-of-the-same-seeming, but I really like Kim Gordon's singing. She's not doing that stomach-punched sound that drives my wife nuts. In the future, I can imagine hearing this and Sonic Nurse as a kind of one-two punch of middle age concision from the band. I'm on track 6.

b

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:37 am

DOMO ARIGATO GOZAIMASU SONIC YOUTH
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:36 am

The streams won't work for me for some reason. WMP tries to open it but can't.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:17 am

The CD is out now, so head over to your local Wal Mart or Best Buy and check it out!

b

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:39 am

Brian Brock wrote:The CD is out now, so head over to your local Wal Mart or Best Buy and check it out!

b
I don't think we have those in Brooklyn. Besides, I'd like to hear it first.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 am

Brian Brock wrote:The CD is out now, so head over to your local Wal Mart or Best Buy and check it out!

b
ideally, head to you locally owned music shop instead. :)

just listened to a bunch of the songs, the recording sounds great and i like the songs. i agree with brian brock in that it seems a little more conscise and clean than some might expect. i saw them live just before sonic nurse came out, and it was the least "noisy" show i've seen by them.

they're still putting out some good stuff for a band so far into their career. Sonic Nurse and Murray Street are bueno.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:08 pm

I guess my humor can be a little dry sometimes.

I wanted to add that if SY had put this album out instead of GOO, people would have freaked out - it's very euphonic. Now it's like they would have to make a full-on pop/r&b album to cause any major cultural ripples - maybe something with lots of electronics, but that's what everyone does, so maybe not.

They collaborate with Chuck D again, that would kill.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Kim has some Nico notes going on, at least in the first song. I love how they are back to dipping into the atonal.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:00 am

I heard this record earlier this week.. I really LOVE it.

probably my favorite band ever.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:16 am

Brian Brock wrote:I guess my humor can be a little dry sometimes.

i figured you were kidding but just in case any impressionable folks were reading this thread....

but back to SY, looks like Jim O'Rourke isn't in the picture anymore, huh.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Yeah I read somewhere that O'Rourke was more interested in film now. There was a great quote to the effect that if he could, he would lock himself up in a windowless room with a T.V. and a bunch of DVDs.

He was great in the soundtrack feature on the Grizzly Man DVD.

b

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:48 pm

This is all I have been listening to all day today. I did a preorder hoping that I would get it the day of if not shortly after and ended up not arriving until this morning.
This is a great album and sounds INCREDIBLE. I am in love with the drum sounds.
Definitely a heavy Velvet Underground type of feel on many of the tracks and Kim's singing is great throughout and Thurston's vocals on "Pink Steam" work so well with the song.
As has already been stated, the clean guitars are awesome.
I'm really excited about this.
I stayed away from the reviews but am now really interested in seeing what has been said. Anyone have any links?

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Why are the vocals mixed so loud? They're the least interesting part.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:05 am

Yeah, the vox are loud, and really dry. I like the sound, actually, and the singing is better than usual for them - but I think the lyrics mostly suck! What's up? One of my friends is convinced they meant to do it, but I can't be so sure...
Musically, though, it's awesome. Kind of a sleeper; I'm starting to get more and more into it after about a week.
And I'm now convinced the third song, "do you believe in rapture", is one of the great moments in recorded rock music: Tuneful, understated, melodic and atonal at once, and an impressive exercise in restraint and delayed gratification. Reminds me, weirdly, of that Al Green song "simply beautiful". And the lyrics are great, for once.
I saw them Monday night and, as always, they blew me away, and really helped me to understand this record (they played the whole thing, I think).
This probably won't be a sentiment many share, but to me they've finally become the band I always wanted them to be...anybody else?