The sound of the songs in the film Rushmore

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

The sound of the songs in the film Rushmore

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Hey-

I watched the film Rushmore for the first time in a long time last night.

First things first, wow. Still an amazingly well made film.

I hadn't seen it since it was in the theatre, but the same thing struck me watching it on DVD at home... the songs in the film just seem to jump out of the speakers. There is a presence to the music that is very upfront.

My studiomate and I watched it together and we discussed this afterward. We agreed that the sound was amazing, but didn't really agree on how it was achieved.

My take on it is that it's just the art of the song selection, coupled with the placement and timing of when the music kicks-in, and then having the music promently forward in the mix --is what really makes the songs stand out.

Would you agree? You don't think they did any extra radical processing of the music? Nothing more than the usual for a feature film like that, right?

-Sam

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue May 15, 2007 1:15 pm

One of many great Wes Anderson films. I think Mark Mothersbaugh was pretty involved in that soundtrack, if memory serves.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Tue May 15, 2007 1:22 pm

One of the best soundtracks of all time in my opinion and one of my favorite movies ever (not opinion, truth!)! I was just thinking about this movie the other day because I watched Kramer vs. Kramer and the soundtrack to that is very similar to the Mark Mothersbaugh stuff on Rushmore. I think they were both very inspired by that film. None of this has anything to do with the original topic, sorry.

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Re: The sound of the songs in the film Rushmore

Post by jonnymo » Tue May 15, 2007 2:11 pm

hiddendriveways wrote:
My studiomate and I watched it together and we discussed this afterward. We agreed that the sound was amazing, but didn't really agree on how it was achieved.

-Sam
For the sake of argument can I ask what the studiomate thought?

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Tue May 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Nothing too specific... special limiters or whatever...

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Tue May 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Check out Bottle Rocket if you haven't yet. Also, there's a special edition of The Life Aquatic that has a special feature that interviews Mark Mothersbaugh in his studio. I haven't seen it yet but I imagine it might be kinda cool, maybe he talks about his studio or something?

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu May 17, 2007 8:16 am

Agreed, great film, great soundtrack, Mothersbaugh is a great compliment to Anderson's films. Bottle Rocket is a must see also. I guess I have nothing more to add except a +1.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Thu May 17, 2007 9:08 am

high five wrote:Check out Bottle Rocket if you haven't yet. Also, there's a special edition of The Life Aquatic that has a special feature that interviews Mark Mothersbaugh in his studio. I haven't seen it yet but I imagine it might be kinda cool, maybe he talks about his studio or something?
The interview takes place in his studio and he gives a guided tour of the joint and explains about the music for the Wes Anderson films.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

bcgood
audio school graduate

Post by bcgood » Wed May 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Best movie Eva
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 30, 2007 9:25 pm

"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu May 31, 2007 5:25 am

I would just say that the Mothersbaugh/Anderson team just have different artistic sensibilities than most and aren't too precious with technical aesthitics; they just want to make a neat movie that stands out. They're just going to push an old Who b-side in your face if they think it will work for the scene, where as some other guy in production would be all "okay, when the soccer mom outruns the cops, don't turn 'Bad To The Bone' up too much - it will frighten people."

Just a guess...
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."