listen and help please

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

garbagelarge
alignin' 24-trk

listen and help please

Post by garbagelarge » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Here are some mixes from an album i recorded for a local band. This was the fastest i had ever recorded this much material. i have been pretty frustrated with the outcome. it sounds far away, small, washed over, muddy - all these things. i think part of this is a result of having recorded all the rhythm in the same room at the same time - i feel like the bleed contributes to the washyness/lack of detail. any suggestions would be very much appreciated. i am not the musician and i dont have much of a say about that part of it. dont be shy. thank you so much for listening.
-ben

K.Hendriksen
studio intern

Post by K.Hendriksen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:28 pm

it's not bad. i mean it's a demo right? i like the vocals. the drums are lost. except for the hi-hat. take some more time next time. your on the right path if this is something your just getting into.
"young artists have got to starve"

garbagelarge
alignin' 24-trk

Post by garbagelarge » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:14 pm

thanks K.Hendriksen, i appreciate the feedback :D

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:14 pm

I think it's pretty good! It's got that garage vibe, suits the music totally.

I wish I could get that grungy live sound. I like the distorted vocals.

When there are great songs, it really doesnt matter how it sounds. And they are great songs.
I'm not sure what to suggest to fix... maybe bring up the kick and snare a little.