Arrows - Canadian drum/guitar rock duo

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

epic problem
gimme a little kick & snare

Arrows - Canadian drum/guitar rock duo

Post by epic problem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 am

Hi all,
I started this thread (http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight=) back in May of this year about getting some ideas on how to approach recording in a rented house in the middle of the Canadian wilderness.

We ended up recording the entire thing in that room, doing drums and a guitar track live, and overdubbing a second guitar on most songs, as well as vocals. I think it really ended up being huge and cohesive because of this, and I'm excited to record like this in the future.

Anyway, I wanted to solicit opinions of the finished product, which we've just got back from the press. We have four songs for download on our site: www.arrowsband.com, if anyone's interested and willing to offer their thoughts.
Last edited by epic problem on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

I like it

Post by punkrockdude » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:57 am

Please change the link because your URL link ends with a comma and therefore the browser can't find the site.

I like this. It's is dirty/distorting sounding yet clear I think. Too bad there's not enough punch in the drums around 2:40 in Coat Of Arms but that is my personal opinion only. I wil listen to the other songs too! Nice music!

*Later on...*
Atoms Remind Us has a really good intro though the sound is pumping a little too much for my taste. I hear it espacially with the ride and that when the floor toms come in it doesn't have more impact than the ride. Otherwise I really like the arrangements, the guitar sounds (they sound really raw and amplifier pushed).

*After even more listening enjoyment...*
The song Knives Are Falling from the sky is a good one too. Very british sounding, like Keane or Coldplay. But I think that after a couple of songs it all might sound a little too distorted for me but all in all very enjoyable mix even though this is very different sounding than the type of sound I try to archieve when I try to mix.

Thumbs up!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:37 pm

Sounds very cool guys. The guitar sounds and general room sound are great... vocal performances sound really good too. Room mics for vocals too?

The distortion on the whole mix is really irking me though. "Call me old fashioned.." It just sounds kinda like you threw an l2 on a really open mix and pulled the 'threshold' fader down till its loud. No offense intended. I do like the music and the recording, but I think this aspect could be improved.

i'll keep an eye out for when you're back in toronto!

-mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

epic problem
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by epic problem » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks Mike. It's funny that you responded - I've known Ryan for some time, and I think it's awesome what you guys are doing at Sleepytown. I used to be in The Vermicious Knid, and we had worked with him on the whole Antiantenna thing years and years ago.

Anyway, you're pretty much right on about the mix. My hack "master" attempt is the one thing that I would redo given the chance, but I'm still pretty happy with how it sounds. It is a tad smooshed, but hey - I'm living and learning. The whole thing is pretty raw, so the finished product sits alright with me.

I'll get it right next time (by letting someone else actually master it).

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Very cool that you know Ryan! I've heard vermicious knid stories in sleepytown a few times.. you should come visit whenever you're in toronto, we'll "jam" :)

-mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!