New Tom Petty film "Running Down a Dream"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

wrenhunter
pushin' record

New Tom Petty film "Running Down a Dream"

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:12 am

I just watched this (over 3 nights!) and found it pretty entertaining. Lots of footage of the HB's in studios past and present (did they always have a camera around or what?). Lots of choice gear.

I thought two of the most interesting points were:

* the different styles of producers Jimmy Iovine and Jeff Lynne, and how the band reacted to them

*Tom's battle in the 70s to get his publishing rights back. I missed this or forgot about it.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:44 am

I got this about a month ago and I still haven't watched it. I have spun the CD that came with it quite a few times and it is fantastic, especially that first tune that is a rehearsal take.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:03 am

IFC was playing this straight through a few months back. I had never heard of the film, but noticed that Peter Bogdanovich directed it and realized it wasn't just some VH1 style music video production. I thought it was an excellent movie and it gave me new found respect for Tom Petty, someone who's music I've honestly never been much into. I watched the first 2-3 hours and really enjoyed it. I loved the early vintage photos/footage and the tales of the 'early years'. That saga behind his publishing rights was pretty interesting too.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:17 pm

looks cool. 4 hours of tom petty seems like it would be a lot to take for most people.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Esmo wrote:4 hours of tom petty seems like it would be a lot to take for most people.
That's the description of the odor that would keep me away, but if it's good, it's good... I'll look for it...

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Harmony Head » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 pm

It's better than good. If it'd been 10 hours it would have been too short. One of the best movies of this ilk i've seen. And just a great story for anyone interested in classic rock and roll... and classic rock and roll records.

And the video of 'Keeping Me Alive" live in the studio is fantastic..

HH
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:05 pm

I have the Bruce Born to Run DVD too, I got it on the same day in fact. I have yet to watch either, but does anyone have any more stuff like this that is worth seeing?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:46 am

i got this yesterday (is it really only available at bestbuy? kind of a drag) and it's really really good. i'm not a huge TP fan, but you gotta respect the guy for writing good tunes and sticking to his guns for so freakin long. the last hour or so is a little dull, but the first three are just great. it's really refreshing to see a band that got hugely successful but somehow managed to stay pretty level headed, not get too fucked up on drugs (howie epstein excepted, rip), and really just keep making good music for decades.

one thing i liked was eddie vedder saying something like "you hear a song and you can remember exactly how it made you feel when you were hearing it the first time at age 15....that's powerful." and i can still totally remember being in a burgerking in a mall in west hartford, ct and hearing 'refugee' for the first time, thinking 'holyshitthisisawesome!'

also cool to see that the heartbreakers did huge tours backing up not only bob dylan, but johnny cash too. i mean, jesus.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:36 am

Larry (I think....) wrote a really great review of it in the latest issue.

They have been one of my favorite bands for about a year now. I have no idea what the heck took me so long to find them!

By the way, check out Don't Do Me Like That. The way the compressors are pumping on the overheads or maybe its the gates opening up on the toms, but man it sounds cool right at the beginning on those drum fills.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:15 pm

I really like Petty's latest solo effort... I listened to it many times, over and over... It was produced by Jeff Lynne, but it wasn't too Lynnie, if you know what I be meaning...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:56 pm

wedge wrote: It was produced by Jeff Lynne, but it wasn't too Lynnie, if you know what I be meaning...
I know precisely what you mean, as I hate Jeff Lynne's production. So...that's good to hear.

I love that album art. I used a similar image (silver rocket, same color scheme) for a promo poster years back; it's based on cover art from a Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine from around 1955. Very cool stuff.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i can still totally remember being in a burgerking in a mall in west hartford, ct and hearing 'refugee' for the first time, thinking 'holyshitthisisawesome!'
Ha, I guess you mean the West Farms mall! (I lived in Fairfield and Litchfield counties.)

I agree, "Refugee" is one of those songs that's just a time machine. Another one from that era is Steve Forbert's "Romeo's Tune".
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:04 am

Good God man! there's someone else out there that has a soft spot for romeo's tune. My lady is such a sucker for that song... enough to hunt down the l.p. and spin it pretty much once a week. Time machine for sure... like three days ago.

Petty Film... I loved it. I'm not a big bogdonovich fan... I think his role on the Soprano's pretty much defines him in my eyes. What sinks the deal on him for me is the ascot. The only dude that can wear an ascot without ironic humor is Freddie from the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine.

That being said... He does a KILLER job at putting a really good film out of a mountain of footage. Petty's story is pretty cool and can be summed up pretty much by a Dave Stewart (eurythmics) quote....
Something like... "In the mid 1970's the only "cool" american bands to listen to were Television, Talking Heads and Tom Petty."

Plus Petty's bad-assed in his fight against the record industry on publishing AND pricing.

I picked up the Petty film and the Who documentary (amazing journey) at the same time...The Who film looked much more promising but just isn't as strong a film. (sorry Pete... you know i love you man....)

Nice work Bogdonovich...you glasses too big for your face wearing s.o.b.!
I take my ascot off to you, good sir.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:09 am

norton wrote:..The Who film looked much more promising but just isn't as strong a film. (sorry Pete... you know i love you man....)

That's OK, they have Kids Are Alright, the best rock film ever.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 am

norton wrote: Petty Film... I loved it. I'm not a big bogdonovich fan... I think his role on the Soprano's pretty much defines him in my eyes. What sinks the deal on him for me is the ascot. The only dude that can wear an ascot without ironic humor is Freddie from the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine.
:rofl:

Yeah...I'm pretty lukewarm on Bogdonavich as well. More than anything, he's prob. notable mainly for his presence and role in the drama that was the American cinema scene of the '70s. That being said, I loved Paper Moon and have a strange soft spot for one of his earlier films called 'Targets' which I really think has an outstanding vibe. Last American Picture Show is pretty good too...though it may be a bit overrated IMHO.

He did do a good job on that Petty film.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm