I want to steal music online but...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

I want to steal music online but...

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:45 pm

You know, the RIAA and retards are complaining about people stealing music online but when I look for anything other than big hits or classic tracks on LimeWire I can't find shit. I was looking for any Yes songs besides the hits lately with NO luck. Trying to find the bonus disc songs for Radiohead's In Rainbows with no luck. If people ARE stealing all this music and ruining artist's careers, where the fuck are they stealing it from? Kinda makes me wonder...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:57 pm

I know what you mean. I think it is because a large part of all shared mp3s on the net are shared because of the coolness/hobby/collectinghugepilesofuselessdata/it?sillegalsoI?mdoingit-haha! factor. I really don?t think music lovers (say jazz fans that travel 500km to see ornette play and have to have the 308th sunny murray lp to make that collection complete) use file sharing, because they like good sounding records - they like vinyl, not 128kbs mp3s with lots of artifacts.
I do think that people who bought a recording because of the music will still buy it.

In my opinion what changed with napster and the following incarnations is that people started to realise that cd-prices really are too high - the lp was more expansive to produce but cheaper in the store than the cd is.
and this greediness of the major record comnpanies is what has ruined the cd business for smaller record companies and artists - distributors get out of business because they can?t sell enough cds, so small record companies get out of business.

I guess the future is luxury vinyl (or blue ray or whatever) releases and mp3s (online only or on usb sticks) is the future... the money will be in live shows.
Last edited by vier-personen on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Bittorrent. Thepiratebay. Mininova. Go search mininova if you want to find old yes. Or try skreemr.com. Limewire is kind of old skool.

You ask, I tell. This is not an endorsement of filesharing. No flamin' me over this post please.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:38 pm

usenet kicks the crap out of P2P.

P2P is for suckers.

limewire is the devil
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:50 pm

..didn't the courts rule that uploading is copyright infringement at best, and downloading not even stealing?

The word stealing really doesn't fit here IMO.. call it immoral, or bottomfeeding, but stealing is misleading.

The downloading portion isn't even illegal under current copyright law. Find a case where someone was sued for downloading without uploading.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:07 pm

I think it's disgraceful. It is stealing and you should think of that when these artist's children are wondering if and when there's going to be a next meal.

But if you're going to use a site, use the ones Tatertot listed. They're the best.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I won't get into it too far, but stealing? I've spent more money purchasing music over the last 25+ years than anyone ever should. Some albums I've bought multiple times. I really wonder how much money Yes makes when I download "Relayer" for $2.97 at iTunes. C'mon.
www.larry-crane.com

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:37 pm

I was kidding, Larry. You starting this thread is like a cop walking into a precinct during prohibition going "where can I get drink!"
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Oops, sorry Astrodan. I did figure out how this Bittorrent thing works. But no way in hell am I opening up my laptop iTunes to P@P as it has people's demos and a ton of unreleased Elliott Smith on it! I want to play fair but...
www.larry-crane.com

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Shareminer was nice for a while if you had some time to search. Sadly it looks like it's already come down.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:24 pm

I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Re: I want to steal music online but...

Post by mingus2112 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:49 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:but when I look for anything other than big hits or classic tracks on LimeWire I can't find shit.
This is really what's "hurting" the record companies. The average college kid using some p2p client in his dorm is going to want whatever craptrack is overplayed on the radio or the "greatest hits" from whatever classic band they like. If you look in the '80s and '90s, the biggest thing was the greatest hits cd. I remember being fanatical about The Who in high school and, besides owning every studio album on CD and vinyl. . .rare imports. . .etc, I also had a stack of greatest hits CDs. All with tracks I already had. . .some with the SAME tracks!

I think music fans will always be music fans and buy CDs, records, etc. It's all the "greatest hits" and "top 40" stuff that's scaring the record companies.

-J
HWJLHC?

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:01 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Don't copy that floppy!
Heh. Yeah, that MC was right. They sure can't make games anymore because of all that thievery.

These are the kinds of videos I'd see played in elementary school that people wouldn't even bother calling "bullshit" on because they weren't worth the effort.

I do call LOLZ on having a rapper of all people so vigorously supporting and representing the law.

Oscar Wilde

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:12 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:...no way in hell am I opening up my laptop iTunes to P@P as it has people's demos and a ton of unreleased Elliott Smith on it! I want to play fair but...
oh my

amyatt1
ass engineer

Post by amyatt1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 am

TapeOpLarry wrote: But no way in hell am I opening up my laptop iTunes to P@P as it has people's demos and a ton of unreleased Elliott Smith on it! I want to play fair but...
Oh to hear those...