Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

visible cow
gimme a little kick & snare

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

Post by visible cow » Thu May 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Have you guys checked out the new Nick Cave album? This thing is tough, crazy and funny as hell.

There's a song on there called "We Call Upon the Author" that has unbelievable lyrics and great changes.....kind of reminds me of Liars at points.

If you've heard it, any thoughts on how those guitar tones were achieved?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 02, 2008 5:27 pm

It's awesome!

And I'm digging the gurrl at Best Buy who reco's it, too. :twisted:

Actually, I have just about everything he's done, although not yet the spoken word or soundtrack stuff; the double Orpheus/Abbattoir is my fave.

As for the guitar tones, you do realize that many of the lead sounds are viola and violin, etc., from Warren Ellis?

I thought I would miss Bargeld, but Ellis has really stepped up.

And if you like this rawkier sound, don't miss the Grinderman CD.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

m morgan
audio school graduate

Post by m morgan » Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 pm

have you listened to Grinderman??? Love that album. I just got Dig Lazarus Dig, haven digested all of it yet.

visible cow
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by visible cow » Sun May 04, 2008 8:46 am

This is my first Nick Cave album....my superficial impression of him was that he was a watered down Tom Waits.....I was very wrong. His lyrics kill me.

i know Grinderman just from "No Pussy Blues" which I love. I guess I should go pick that one up.....

Again, the song "We Call Upon the Author" when he yells out "Prolix, prolix, nothing a pair of scissors can't fix!" and the band gets all dirty....what is that sound? Is that something Warren Ellis is doing? It says he plays viola, loops and drum machine on the track.....

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sun May 04, 2008 1:12 pm

I've been meaning to buy this record for weeks. Huge fan. I saw the video for the title track and it is pretty hilarious. There are also a few promotional vignettes for it on YouTube that are absolutely hysterical.
This is my first Nick Cave album....my superficial impression of him was that he was a watered down Tom Waits.....I was very wrong.
I love Tom Waits but I have actually come to like Nick Cave more. His output is more varied and I don't have to be in a "mood" to listen to him like with Tom Waits (no disrespect toward Mr. Waits).

His records are (almost) consistently amazing.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon May 05, 2008 2:24 pm

This record is completely amazing. I've got it on CD. I am going to buy it on vinyl, too, just because. The only thing I've heard to compare is Patti Smith's "Peace and Noise;" this is giddier and more terrifying. And funnier. "Hang on, my friend Doug is tapping at the window! Hey Doug! How've you been?" Or "Anyway, to cut a long story short..." Who writes that as a lyric?!? Damn.

I assume that the "dirty sound" of the band is probably a loop of some sort, since the liner notes credit Nick for loops on that song (I think). It sounds like it was just spliced or cut in somehow. I wonder how it was recorded?

Aside from Grinderman, does he have anything else similar? My recorded music budget is going to head exclusively in this direction for a while.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Cave actually has a pretty varied approach to music, one moment pastoral, the next noisy, sometimes folky, chamber, or blues.

He has done some real rockers in the past; I always think of his cover of "Black Betty", for instance.

But Grinderman is pretty unique in being so bluesy and rocking, and now followed by Dig ...

I guess I would reco Murder Ballads as the closest?

The live Abattoir, also.

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon May 05, 2008 4:38 pm

I know the guy sure keeps good company. I've got the new Einsturzende Neubauten disc for review. I'm looking forward to listening for similarities/differences.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 pm

if you're just getting into nick cave/grinderman - definitely check out the birthday party - his band in the late 70s eary 80s. total opposite end of the spectrum, confrontational, abrasive, awesome. if i were to start at one place, maybe the live record.

it has the older songs and just as chaotic, but in a more modern mix/master. but the original records sound fantastic and are a great example of that era recording, pre cheese production, raw but still hi-fidelity in a decided late 70s/early 80s way.

check this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXfcLpOAazc

nick cave is one of those people - that generally people either are indifferent/don't care about him - or become rabid fans and get everything he's done. i've sorta been partial to the birthday party stuff, but he still is amazing. i'm in the latter camp. i had a reading of his read at my wedding in fact.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Mon May 05, 2008 5:44 pm

I've been wishing for an article on some of his records for a while now. They always sound so alive and spontaneous.
vvv wrote:He has done some real rockers in the past; I always think of his cover of "Black Betty", for instance.

But Grinderman is pretty unique in being so bluesy and rocking, and now followed by Dig ...
Check out this one!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7vYLdqt68E

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Mon May 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Check out Birthday Party if you liked the Grinderman album. Its much less piano centric. Prayers on Fire is great

great video/hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlS4BwTUQw

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Cool vids!

In that Birthday Party one, Cave's like getting his Sid on, no? :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 pm

vvv wrote: As for the guitar tones, you do realize that many of the lead sounds are viola and violin, etc., from Warren Ellis?

I thought I would miss Bargeld, but Ellis has really stepped up.
Just watched them playing live on TV and he actually plays a lot of 4-string electric mandolin which is where the "lead guitar" sounds are coming from.

Bargeld's were pretty big shoes to fill, but he's doing a fantastic job. Looks great on stage too - he's got all the mandolin hero poses.