Power Rock song. Need advice.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

christian_roth
audio school graduate

Power Rock song. Need advice.

Post by christian_roth » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Folks,

http://goldenloopstudio.com/uploads/att ... viorv5.mp3

It's pretty squashed but I would love to get your feedback.

Thanks,

C

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Vocals are high in the mix, I'd bring them down quite a bit. They also seem pretty dry, which isn't very flattering when they're that up front. The panning on the guitars seems somewhat uneven, but panning preference is fairly subjective. It sounds really compressed and is blasting the speakers I'm listening on, which aren't that great to begin with. So it's hard to make too many more observations on individual tones, eq, compression, etc. The chugging rhythm guitar to the left sounds too mid scooped for my taste, very "small", but that's my personal taste. That might be affecting how even the guitars sound to me.

I'd work on getting the levels more even, check everything in mono and work from there.

onlyone
ass engineer

Post by onlyone » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:23 pm

the vocal could maybe just use something to set it back in the mix -- as was said, it's very dry.

i kinda feel the same way about the guitars, too, maybe just a little bit more room or something. were they recorded direct? if so, maybe just run them out to some speakers in a room and mic that to blend into the direct signal to give 'em some space. either way, listening in my headphones the guitars felt very upfront along with the vocal; the drums and bass felt like they were hanging back a bit.

maybe back off the compression a bit, too... but that's just my taste.

otherwise, i think it sounds pretty good! just some touch-up stuff in the mixing!

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Post by solo-bration » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:24 am

I agree with the vocal dryness.

the only other thing is... that lead guitar riff feels a little sloppy against an otherwise tight pop tune. it seems to pull the song apart at times. i'd go back in and cut it up and basically make it a perfect loop. that's the pop-guy in me. i think he's also saying tune the vocal up.

just my 1 cent :wink: