Before the Music Dies Documentary

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

muttonhead
ass engineer

Before the Music Dies Documentary

Post by muttonhead » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:48 am

Don't know if it's been posted before......

http://documentaryvideos.org/before-mus ... cumentary/

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for that. I watched the whole thing and thought it was pretty great. Too bad we didn't get to see Calexico or David Hidalgo play.

I'm sure it's preaching to the choir here, but it's nice to see video of someone taking a waveform of an out of pitch performance and correcting it w/ autotune. I wish the general public could all see that just to make it absolutely clear what is going on all the time. I suppose they wouldn't care though, unless there was a large enough contingent of people telling them to care.

Anyway, thanks again for the link.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 pm

That thing where Branford Marsalis goes off on the topic of his students, and how they are "full of shit", and they "just want to be told how great they are", is one of my favorite two minutes of film ever.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Just watched it. Good stuff, I need to make some people around me watch it now...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:07 am

Very cool. I know a lot of people that need to see this.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Before the Music Dies

Post by BenjaminWells » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am

+1
;ivlunsdystf wrote:That thing where Branford Marsalis goes off on the topic of his students, and how they are "full of shit", and they "just want to be told how great they are", is one of my favorite two minutes of film ever.
A great documentary. A video epitaph for the music industry as we know (knew) it.

Does anyone else out there feel GOOD about where music is headed? I've heard more great music lately, recorded in bedrooms and garages, completely unknown, that I've started to see glimpses of the future... where the labels are gone, artists and fans connect directly, and the quality, sincerity and authenticity of the music is beyond what we've experienced in the past. Three problems remain: easy ways of finding the good stuff, having the shared experience, monetizing... rewarding the artists for providing the art.

The public reaction to the death of Michael Jackson is perhaps the best illustration of what I mean by "shared experience." So many millions of people felt a connection to his music. "Shared," on that scale may not happen again. It took an entire industry to make that happen.

In it's place are smaller, but potentially more meaningful, shared experiences.

I think that 10 years from now, we'll look back at the period we are in right now as the big time of flux. The turning point where the new phase began. The technological "Elvis" that revolutionized our industry and led to something new and hopefully great.