(( The Mars Volta )) : Octahedron

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

CarlosEs
audio school

Post by CarlosEs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 am

m.
Last edited by CarlosEs on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:03 pm

these_go211 wrote:...bedlam in goliath is a full on assault to the senses...
Man, I just feel DRAINED after listing to that album. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, but it just plain wears me out on a psychic level.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:31 am

these_go211 wrote:
...bedlam in goliath is a full on assault to the senses...

Man, I just feel DRAINED after listing to that album. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, but it just plain wears me out on a psychic level.
I agree. But I will say that its a good thing.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

gegonut
audio school

Volta

Post by gegonut » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:30 am

Mars Volta is one of my favorite modern bands, and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is one of my favorite modern musicians. He and Omar have put out a lot of good music in the last couple of decades, going back to At the Drive-In.

Having said that, I love every album except for Octahedron. I like it, but it doesn't grab me in a way that any of their other albums did. Each one has a distinct voice, including Octahedron, and I was excited to hear them on a more reserved level, but I just don't think it works as well for them. When they're on their best freak-outs (like "Day of the Baphomets") that's when I find I'm the most captivated by what they're doing. They're so amazing at layering sounds and working complex arrangements out into digestible emotional communiques that when they pull it so far back, I just don't feel it.

Definitely check them out in chronological order. And if you want to hear them a little more punk and a little more prog, check out At the Drive-In (and their spiritual successor, Sparta). De Facto, Omar and Cedric's dub project, may bore you to tears or entrance you for hours ... for me, it's mostly the former. And as others have said, some of Omar's solo projects are golden.
"I walk everywhere. And, if I want to hear a song, I just have to remember it the best that I can." - subatomic pieces