"After After the Gold Rush" - full album covered,

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

depthofield
studio intern

"After After the Gold Rush" - full album covered,

Post by depthofield » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 pm

This started as a couple of rough one-shot covers a couple years ago, that turned into a fun little spare-time project, then it got so fun that I spent more time working on it then my own stuff in the last couple months. Here's my version of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush":

http://stolensheep.bandcamp.com/album/a ... -gold-rush

Skip the streaming and go for the free download, for pete's sake. Album download includes PDF liner notes.

If you're a Neil fan you might dig it. Or you might hate me for perpetrating such a thing. I'd love to hear what y'all think.

depthofield
studio intern

Recording notes....

Post by depthofield » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Recording notes, if you're innarested.

Recorded and mixed at home in Logic (though a couple of initial tracks were recorded on my old Roland 1680, which i just sold on ebay for a depressingly low price), using my standard arsenal of cheap gear...

Vocals are mostly done with an Oktava 319 or SM57 thru an ART TubeMP>Alesis Nanocomp; acoustic guitar either AKG C1000 or SM57.

Drums are my ratty 3-piece mutt kit, mic'd with an Audix D6 inside the kick (or a 58 on the front head, before i got the D6...); 57 under the snare; Karma micro stereo overheads, and the 319 either over the floor tom/ride or somewhere out in the room.

Keys are all Logic instruments.

Bass is a P-bass recorded direct, either thru a JoeMeek VC6 or a SansAmp Classic pedal.

Electric guitars are mostly a Les Paul Studio (hard to want to play Neil on anything else!) or '84 Squier Bullet. About 30% went out to a SS Princeton 65 thru god knows what kind of pedals. Most electric tracks (most of the loud stuff) were recorded thru the SansAmp though, since I did a lot of this late at night while the wife slept.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 am

Cool, I'll check this out. Really ambitious project.

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

Post by lukievan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm

sounds great! one of the best album's ever recorded and it sounds like you
really love it too...nicely done.
i'm hoping to do the same thing w/ VU's Loaded one of these days.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Sounds pretty nice. Obviously you weren't the only one that listened to this record non-stop for some period of thier life. It was one of the first vinyl LP's I bought, after wearing out my mom's tape. I used to listen to this on my Dad's old marantz stereo (which luckily I own now), and just lie there and flip the record 3 or 4 times. It's just such a sonically pleasing album for me, and the songwriting is some of his best IMO.

Stylistically it kinda makes me think of the Autumn Defense covering Young. Cool project, and totally DIY without sounding like a home recording. Good job on coaxing some magic out the AKG C1000, I hate that stupid lightsaber.

depthofield
studio intern

Post by depthofield » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks, guys. Glad to be able to share it.

lukievan, I'd love to hear a Loaded cover if you get around to it. That would be hella fun to play.

ott0bot, that sounds very much like my own initiation to the album. Thank goodness for parents with good taste in music. I couldn't ask for much better comparison than Autumn Defense. Hadn't thought of that myself, but I like that you hear something there.

I like to shoot for somewhere between "sloppy hi-fi" (with apologies to john vanderslice) and home-recording/no-budget quality (can't deny it for what it is), so I guess I did allright. Never shared much of my stuff before now, so it's good to have the feedback from strangers.

depthofield
studio intern

Post by depthofield » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Also, I've found that the C1000 doesn't totally sound like ass when you stick it on a guitar amp. And it's half decent on acoustic rhythm tracks in a busy song if all I want is 2.5k+.

FX Trax
audio school

Post by FX Trax » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Wow some of this is really awesome.

I also remember vividly the first time I heard the original
as a spotty teenager.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 pm

I downloaded this a couple weeks ago.

I was humming your version of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" just this morning.

Cool, album. I think it might appeal to those people who don't like Neil's voice, or haven't given the songs a chance because of his voice. Well done.

My parents didn't own this album, but they did have Sgt Peppers....
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:22 pm

lukievan wrote:i'm hoping to do the same thing w/ VU's Loaded one of these days.
+100.

As for OP, imma check this out tonight when I get home.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 pm

This is cool!

Southern Man just came on...how did you pull that bass sound?

depthofield
studio intern

Post by depthofield » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks for listening, y'all!

Haven't been on the board for a few weeks so i'm just now seeing the replies... I'm encouraged that people are downloading and digging this.

Re: the bass on "Southern Man" - that was P-bass into the JoeMeek VC-6 - but all the punch comes from inside Logic (9): I added a touch of the "Overdrive" plugin, ramped down the EQ from -1db @1khz to 0db @5khz, and ran it thru Amp Designer, using the transparent preamp head>tweed cabinet>ribbon mic.

I feel like there's so much wrong with all of that, but hey, it works?