Critique my work please.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Critique my work please.

Post by ricercar.record » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:58 pm

hey guys,
wanted to get some feedback/critiques on the recordings I have tracked and mixed so far in school, so please feel free to criticize and/or commend as much as you see necessary. I found this magazine and message board not too long after starting school and have been addicted since so I know how much knowledge and recording genius is obtained and shared on this board, so I would love to learn some of it in getting critiques on my work.

The 365colours recordings were mixed otb on an SSL Duality Console in analog mode straight to CD-R (not by choice) and the Isle of White recordings were mixed in the box in Protools 8 utilizing the protools plugins as well as Mercury Waves, Eventide, and Joemeek plugins.

Would definitely be willing to answer any questions about mics or outboard gear used during tracking or any other questions about the recording process with these.

Thanks so much guys. here's the soundcloud link to the songs.
http://soundcloud.com/davidevans

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:51 pm

in push the attack the vocals over power everything. During the choruses it completely masks the drums. and in the rest drums are just a little quite for my taste. but it sounds good. good start. keep it up

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:01 pm

I wasn't at my studio when I listened to these... it was my home stereo.

HPB - I feel like the drums are a bit lost and unintelligible.

Jaam- the "scratchy" acoustic could come back a bit. Feels like its taking too much of the mix.

Sprat - seems muffled... hard to describe but its almost as if you rolled off the highs.

Other than that they are pretty damn good mixes. Its a great start!
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock
Tremor Christ - Pearl Jam Tribute

Shouldn't you be practicing?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 pm

I agree with everything thegeek said, same observations I made. Listen to the drums of HPB, then the drums of Jaaam - big difference in the power of them, a lot of which will probably be helped by just cranking up the drums a bit more. I think Push the Attack has some of that issue too. In Sprat the sounds are great but I think they're getting a little in the way eachother. Namely the guitars could use some presence, they sound like they might have more low end than they need, which is cancelling out any attach from the bass.

These are so, so much better than my earlier recordings though. I didn't go to recording school, but regardless, the issues with these are just things that need small adjustments. Great stuff. Nice songs, by the way, I don't know if their yours or not but they're nice tunes anyway.

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Post by ricercar.record » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:11 am

thanks so much for the feedback guys. I have some more 365 Colours recordings that I am finishing up mixing and will be posting on here for criticism soon so thanks for giving me some comments/concerns to think about during my mixing process. I will start remixing these older tracks after (the band wanted to get some newer songs done first), and will be able to mix these however I want to as it's now just fun work outside of class, yay! Definitely noticed after listening again later how loud the vocals in Push the Attack are so am working on turning down vocals in that but still getting them to sit well and be intelligible and messing with drums slightly in both. I'm looking forward to having more stuff for you to listen to, thanks guys.

oh, and these are two local bands we found to record for school projects, so sadly I wasn't involved in the writing process previous to them being in the studio. I will most likely be working with 365 Colours for a while and they are hoping to put out an album of sorts so if you dig their sound keep a look out.