Need Some Fresh Ears on "Walk As One"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Robertt8
gimme a little kick & snare

Need Some Fresh Ears on "Walk As One"

Post by Robertt8 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:31 am

Hey guys. I was just looking for some extra ears on this tune.

As of now I've got a stock drum loop going. It will eventually be replaced by a real drummer. I've also got some things to clean up here and there during the breaks/pauses. I recorded the main vocals a little further back than usual, so I'm getting a little more room sound in them...not sure if I like that or not. Please pay particular attention to the very end. That's that part that I'm a little worried about as far as getting it to sound like marching. Any EQ suggestions? There is very little EQ being done on this save low cuts on just about everything to get rid of any unwanted low frequencies.

Any suggestions?

http://bagoftoysmusic.com/music/walk_as_one.mp3

If anyone cares this was the way it was recorded...
All mic'ed instruments (Big Baby Taylor & Larriviee LV-03E) path: Studio Projects B1 > Presonus Firebox > iMac > Cubase
Voice (and a couple clapping): Shure KSM32 > Presonus Firebox > iMac > Cubase
Bass (Squire P Bass): > SansAmp Bass Driver DI > Presonus Firebox...
Drum Machine (Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-770)

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Need Some Fresh Ears on "Walk As One"

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:09 am

Robertt8 wrote:Hey guys. I was just looking for some extra ears on this tune.

As of now I've got a stock drum loop going. It will eventually be replaced by a real drummer. I've also got some things to clean up here and there during the breaks/pauses. I recorded the main vocals a little further back than usual, so I'm getting a little more room sound in them...not sure if I like that or not. Please pay particular attention to the very end. That's that part that I'm a little worried about as far as getting it to sound like marching. Any EQ suggestions? There is very little EQ being done on this save low cuts on just about everything to get rid of any unwanted low frequencies.

Any suggestions?

http://bagoftoysmusic.com/music/walk_as_one.mp3

If anyone cares this was the way it was recorded...
All mic'ed instruments (Big Baby Taylor & Larriviee LV-03E) path: Studio Projects B1 > Presonus Firebox > iMac > Cubase
Voice (and a couple clapping): Shure KSM32 > Presonus Firebox > iMac > Cubase
Bass (Squire P Bass): > SansAmp Bass Driver DI > Presonus Firebox...
Drum Machine (Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-770)
Just a little more bass (I always like more bass)

Other than that, good job!

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Robertt8
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Robertt8 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks for checking it out and taking the time to respond. I'll see how it sounds with a little more bass pumping.

cheers!
tait