Laura Marling's latest Ethan Johns Produced album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

tendershoot
studio intern

Laura Marling's latest Ethan Johns Produced album

Post by tendershoot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:56 am

Laura Marling's latest Ethan Johns produced album is stunningly recorded. Does anyone have any information on the processes, or the gear used? There's plenty of lovely tape hiss on there that'll wrap your ears in comfort.
would appreciate it.
thanks

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:12 am

there was a tape op article a few years back about Ethan Johns' stuff. I imagine it's the same stuff, since if I remember correctly he had like an old Helios console and Ampex tape machine with all old Neumann's and Coles, stuff like that. Basically all his dad's old stuff from the 60's. And at that time, his studio was in his house, I think. Probably still is?

All the stuff of his I've heard has a similar sonic signature, so I'm guessing but I haven't heard this particular record.

One thing that i remember that struck me as odd was that in the pictures accompanying the article, he had the drum mics set-up which was in the 'Glyn Johns' configuration (go figure) but with a Coles on one OH and a LDC on the other. I thought that was weird.

anyway, there's probably stuff here somewhere about it. Try the Search function.

Chris
greetings from Flyover Country...

tendershoot
studio intern

Post by tendershoot » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:30 pm

thanks Chris. I remember that article now. Will revisit it.

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:41 am

if anyone finds it, can you give me an issue number. id like to try to get a back issue of it.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 am

It's issue 65. Just happened to be right next to my desk!

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm

awesome. thanks.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 pm

i am a big EJ fan and have read a few interviews with/about him and his work. love the ryan adams stuff and ray lamontagne albums he's done.

supposedly he loves the sm7 into a UA 610 pre on lead vocals. i know he used a 635 on acoustic guitar a little with ray lamontagne on his first record....

he also does a lot of live tracking and frequently plays drums (and loads of other instruments - keys, bass, guitars etc) on albums he produces. lots of time things sound roomy and i suspect its because there is drums bleeding into the vocal mic and stuff like that.

also he's pretty vocal about his love of tape and records pretty much exclusively to tape - although on the last crowded house album he worked on there is a ProTools operator credited (maybe editing? maybe tracked to PT?). i know he didn't record all the songs on that one too.

i have seen pics of lanois mixing ribbons and condersers on overheads in unusal configurations and placements too.
the new rules : there are no rules

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Just got this record.

Sounds incredible.

"Blackberry Stone" is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a while.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:31 pm

joninc wrote: supposedly he loves the sm7 into a UA 610 pre on lead vocals. i know he used a 635 on acoustic guitar a little with ray lamontagne on his first record....
How do you know he used a EV 635? Did he state this in the Tape Op interview?

The real question is what did he use on Till the Sun Turns Black and Laura Marling's newest...

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm

he said so in an article i read somewhere.. apparently switched to a 251 on the second record, must be tough :)
the new rules : there are no rules

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm

I recorded with Matt Ingram (her drummer) with one of my old bands at Urchin Studios in Limehouse, London. He engineers there and I think pre-production for Laura Marling's album took place there as well. Oh well, just some random info of no interest to anyone but myself probably :wink:

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:26 am

joninc wrote:lots of time things sound roomy and i suspect its because there is drums bleeding into the vocal mic and stuff like that.
I remember reading a while back (maybe in that Tape Op article?) that a lot of the drums you hear on Heartbreaker are ONLY the bleed in the vocal mic.