Drumheavy song by my band, HELP! Dark Indie Rock

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mr.adambeck
gimme a little kick & snare

Drumheavy song by my band, HELP! Dark Indie Rock

Post by mr.adambeck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi! I'm mixing an album by my band, Chambers. The first song I'm having a go at is a very drum heavy song, and I feel like I'm having trouble getting the drums to have the right punch and "epic" feel.

Just to give you context, musically I think we're going for something between Health, Liars and Joy Division. We have a kind of spacey, but heavy sound, especially on this song. We switch instruments a bit, but the line-up on this one is as follows: One drummer, one person playing a floor tom which has a contact mic going into a kaoss pad making a modulated delay, a bassist, a guitarist and a singer who runs his vocals through a kaoss pad with a lot of delay. I was specifically asked to have the drums and bass seem really heavy, while the guitars and vocals "float in a sea of reverb and delay" by my band, which, in actuality, is probably how we sound live.

I am posting two versions: mix b, or the second link, has has a lower compression ratio on the parallel drum bus and a very slightly different bass EQ.

Any and all constructive criticism, especially if it keeps in mind the "sound" of the band, would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

http://michaelbeck.com/adam/chambers/10 ... ar-MP3.mp3
http://michaelbeck.com/adam/chambers/10 ... -B-MP3.mp3

Thanks so much! I really genuinely do appreciate your help.

Also, here's a link to our myspace, just in case you are interested.
http://www.myspace.com/chamberstheband

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:51 am

Honestly, I think the drums sound pretty heavy and epic in both versions. You're doing a great job!
The only comment I can make is that, sonically, it sounds a little stagnant. You could maybe try using the drums from mix B for the first part of the song, and then turn up the parallel compression, ala mix A, at that point about halfway through where the cymbals and fills start being played. Or turn up/down the reverb at strategic places, etc. When the whole thing sounds epic the whole through, the listener can get numb to its epic-ness. But sonic, textural changes may help certain parts of the song stand out as being REALLY epic!
Again, I want to say that it sounds great, its a great song, and you are already doing a great job mixing it!

mr.adambeck
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mr.adambeck » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks man, that's an excellent idea. I'll definitely give that a shot and post the results!

Thanks for the input!