microtonal metal mini-epic: staring at the sun

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 am

ubertar wrote:
dwlb wrote:Are you taking a specific approach to vocals?
Um... fake it as best I can because I can't sing for shit? Or did you mean something else?

As far as recording my voice goes, I compressed the fuck out of the main (falsetto) vocal, and doubled it with a regular vocal for the verse, and with a few tracks for the chorus. The backing vox aren't compressed that much. I usually do multiple vocal tracks, to cover my crappy singing.

I get what you're saying about the out-of-tune-ness. When it's just guitar, your mind is comparing to what your experience tells you a guitar should sound like. Once the other stuff comes in, and all the instruments are tuned together, your mind says, "ok, I guess they meant that". Or something. :)
re: out-of-tune. I think you're right,there. The tuning does sound more deliberate when several instruments are doing it.

Vocally, I meant--are you singing specific notes in specific ways to accommodate the tuning of the instruments? I'd guess, on further reflection, that you're probably matching pitch to the scale the same way someone singing over a basic rock song would.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:19 am

dwlb wrote:Vocally, I meant--are you singing specific notes in specific ways to accommodate the tuning of the instruments? I'd guess, on further reflection, that you're probably matching pitch to the scale the same way someone singing over a basic rock song would.
Exactly. I don't think about it any more than I would if I were singing in standard 12 tet. But, with either, I'd match notes with an instrument scratch track if I were doing anything more challenging melodically... but I don't usually write parts like that, b/c I know I can't sing them. :)