vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:24 am

Well, I do have a Charvel Model 6 that is due for new frets, so one could understand your oversight. ;)

Edit 08/05/2020: 2 now..
Charvels.jpg
Charvels.jpg (148.85 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:17 am

Funny, I used to sell those when I was in music retail for a time (short time, long time ago).

They were real popular, so then our store manager over-ordered _hundreds_ of these axes whose fad-ish flame quickly extinguished with the application of the cold water that is the fickleness of the instrument-buying public. There was a loft full of wide-necked Charvels when the store finally closed after a long season of mismanagement...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:32 am

Just stumbled upon a pile of records, curbside, and picked them up. Some big names, good stuff, some I've never heard of. All look to be in good shape.

Talking Heads-- Stop Making Sense
Bikini Kill
The Damned-- Phantasmagoria
Falco-- Emotional (promo copy)
Tom Waits-- Alice, Blood Money
Lester Bowie-- Avant Pop
Time Zone Featuring John Lydon and Afrika Bambaataa--World Destruction Meltdown Remix (Produced by Bill Laswell/Material)

This stuff I've never heard of...

Hasil Adkins-- The Wild Man
Las Chicas Del Bombon
Peter Schilling-- the Noah Plan (Elektra promo copy)
Parquet Courts-- Light Up Gold
The Blasters-- Trouble Bound
Daddy Long Legs-- Evil Eye on You (signed)
Numbers-- EE-UH!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Hasil Adkins!
Village Idiot.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:40 am

Of the ones you never heard of, I only know Peter Schilling and The Blasters (but not those records).

That sounds like quite a find, ubertar. But hip, pristine, signed records on the sidewalk unattended? I smell a bad break-up or a "divorce sale" gone wrong...

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Hmm... yeah, I guess that's a possibility. I didn't get any vibe of bad juju about them, for whatever that's worth. And there was nothing else on the curb, just those records. Seemed to me like someone culling their collection of stuff they didn't want... I got the impression this person was a former college radio dj who got lots of promo stuff for free, someone well-off enough now they couldn't be bothered with selling it. While this set of records definitely isn't trash, if someone's prized collection is just around a dozen records, those aren't the records.
Pretty much as soon as I got home with them, it started to rain, hard.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Anybody running linear tracking turntables?

Linear vs standard (pivoted). which is better?
"If the past is an indicator of the future, you may have stirred up a hornet's nest with this question.
Enthusiasts point to the lack of tracking error and the lack of the need for antiskating, and they point to wear patterns on styli to prove the superiority of linear tracking.
Enthusiasts of pivoted arms point to the complexity (hence expense and possible breakdown) of many linear arm mechanisms, and the need to keep them clean and well lubricated, and they reject the claim of no tracking error, insisting that linear arms are error correction mechanisms, and hence are in error most of the time. In a properly functioning linear arm, the error is pretty low -- lower than peak error in a pivoted arm, but even in a properly functioning pivoted arm error is low.
How low is low enough to ignore? That is a contentious issue (and there is a substantial group of audiophiles who use pivoted arms without overhang adjustment who would argue that tracking error is way over rated as an issue.)
To my mind, a more important aspect of the linear versus pivoted debate is personal taste when it comes to track selection. I like lifting the arm with my hand (or cuing lever) and placing the needle where I want it and lowering (free hand or with cuing) on to the record. Easy and instant gratification. But others appear to like using buttons to toggle the arm back and forth, or hitting the band number. I'm assuming that they like the sense of safety that comes from not handling the arm directly, and are willing to wait for action.
I think a lot of the choice is ergonomic, not technical. But you wouldn't know that from the debates that crop up when this question is asked."

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:05 pm

My old Panasonic portable record player/AM/FM radio had a straight tone-arm, a fact my "oh-so-much-better-than-you" friend in HS razzed me about, until I bought a "proper stereo system." But I dug that little unit, the forerunner of today's portable USB-equipped crate-digger machines, because I'd had it since I was a kid, could literally take it anywhere, and it was also the first player that I heard the Beatles, Herman's Hermits, and Cat Stevens on (all sibling hand-me-downs)...

As far as the audiophile argument-- maybe someday, I'd get a linear unit for the studio, but I too dig tactile needle-dropping, and obviously DJ's couldn't do much with a mechanical straight tone-arm, so I'll vote for "bent" (insert vvv's signature horned smiley here _______).

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Tubes. They're not just for guitar amps anymore.

Rockin' the vinyl 1961 style.
Low wattage, but all the speakers know is that is a high voltage 12 watts.
le monde est fou . la sympathie et la pri?re pour nos fr?res et sisgters fran?ais [/size]
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:50 pm

That your amp, shed? What brand, and how about some details?

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:18 pm

old funky hh scott. Sounds kind of swirly, highs dip now and again, but overall nice sound. Needs a little going over methinks.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 am

Discontinued in 2010
Technics re-introducing SL-1200 turntables summer 2016

?Technics SL-1200G
?Technics SL-1200GAE: (limited edition run, 1,200 units)

Panasonic has also made a few adjustments to the units? design.

?Three-layered platter: the platter of a turntable prevents vibration and resonance ? and on these new models, it?s a three-layered platter, made of ?a rigidly combined heavyweight brass and aluminum die-cast platter, and deadening rubber?. Panasonic claims that this has more than twice the inertial mass of the SL-1200MK5, and even more than the SP-10MK2 (which is the broadcast standard for vinyl)

?Four-layered cabinet: Panasonic has added a ?hairline-processed? 10mm top panel of aluminum to the top of the turntable cabinet. Again, this is one more layer than the SL-1200MK5, giving it an even more polished look and feel.

?Motor vibration suppression: To help control any small vibrations that the direct-drive motor might create, there?s an onboard microprocessor on these new SL-1200s that detects vibrations using rotary positioning sensors and make adjustments, as well as using an encoder at the bottom of the motor to ?detect the precise rotating angle?. This is all in addition to other advances made by Panasonic in direct-drive motors, including eliminating the iron core to avoid ?cogging? ? tiny motor vibrations and speed fluctuations.

?Dampening tonearm: On the SL-1200G, the tonearm is aluminum; on the SL-1200GAE it?s magnesium ? and the material and deign on both have been improved to increase dampening.

?Gold-plated terminals:

Both new Technics models are coming out later this year ? with the SL-1200GAE 50th anniversary limited edition coming in Summer 2016,
and the SL-1200G coming to stores late in 2016.

New Technics SL-1200G/GAE Turntables Will List for $4,000.

Celebrities come and go as we all do. The ones that transcend that label matter the most.
If they unflinchingly speak the truth and convey it viscerally enough for you to feel it,
their art becomes important. For artists and art lovers, these are the grailles, and their creators we revere.
From that list, If you measure how much they matter by whether you grieve when they pass that list gets even shorter.
Watching the video for Blackstar (which according to one read is about ISIS, but I saw as about his death in the context of recent events),
I did feel grief and the loss of an artistic icon who?d been around since I first became aware of music.

Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Looks great. I was going to ask a funny question regarding the stacks of Franklins that unit is resting on, but I scrolled down the post and got my answer already. Dad-gum, that seems a bit pricey, aye??

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:00 pm

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Looks great. I was going to ask a funny question regarding the stacks of Franklins that unit is resting on, but I scrolled down the post and got my answer already. Dad-gum, that seems a bit pricey, aye??

GJ
I love my Stanton ST-150s. They will also play 78s, if I adjust the track a little heavier. Technics are very nice, but 4-figure nice is pushing it a little bit to my eye.