Geoff Mann Sextet - Spacious EP

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

DrummerMan
george martin

Geoff Mann Sextet - Spacious EP

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Hey All!

I know I haven't been that active around here in a while. I do lurk a bit and interject useless comments from time to time, but have been spending more time just seeing what others have to say.

Anyhoo... I just recorded a new 3 tune EP for my new-ish soul-ish jazz-ish whatever-ish band. My current studio's really small and kind of crappy sounding so I moved everything over to my wife's new art gallery space. As a drummer and recorder of said drums I tend to be afraid or at least weary of overly reverberant spaces but I faced my demons and went for it.

Originally, my plan was to use my Tascam 388, but after pulling it out of storage it seems it's not working right now and I didn't have time before the session to deal with trying to figure out what was wrong, so I just hauled my computer and Toft board over to the space.
The instrumentation is Alto Sax, Bass Clarinet, Accordion, Electric Guitar, Upright Bass and Drums. All recorded live, except the percussion (bells, tamborine) which I overdubbed later.
And, of course, this was masterfully mastered by Scott Craggs, who never ceases to amaze me with how well he always seems to get how the music's supposed to sound.
HERE'S THE MUSIC!!!
First a Duke Ellington tune, Fleurette Africaine. Then a very old original of mine, Gobble Gobble Gobble. Lastly a funky Hank Mobley number, Hi Voltage.

Here's a shot of the main part of the gallery when it's not being used by me... This is where I ended up putting the horns mostly
for some reason this photo link isn't working in the post but you should be able to click through to it:
http://www.trbimg.com/img-5241dad3/turb ... n--001/600

When I started setting up, the big room seemed too washy for the drums so I put the drums in this back room, where they seemed to sound the best. Those two little passageways in the back lead to an office to the right, where I stuck the bass and accordion, and a storage area to the left where I put the guitar amp.

I didn't get alot of shots with things set up but here's a few.

Horns surrounded by blankets and going into an AEA r88

Drums in Glynn Johns-esque style, with an omni dynamic as a "heart" mic

Nobody puts bass-ey in a corner.... except me.
421 shoved into the endpin pointing up

You can just barely see the CAD e-100 on the bottom that I used to record the accordion

If it weren't for the drums, separation would've been no problem. I was really happy with how the individual instruments sounded, and I loved the way the drums sounded through their mics, but got a bit overwhelmed at the onset with how much they got into all the other instrument mics, except the guitar amp mic which remained almost completely isolated. A lot of tweaking with EQ and soul searching later I think I found a balance between what I expected to hear in my head and what was there to deal with on the recording.

Gobble Gobble Gobble has the setup as it looks above.

For Fleurette, I brought the accordion into the big room to record into the stereo ribbon, and put the bass clarinet on the CAD e-100 in the same room as the bass.

And for Hi Voltage, I had both horns and accordion around the r-88 since they were all playing that same figure together anyway...

OK. Hope you enjoy it!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Oh yeah, one funny (annoying) thing that happened... the guitar amp, an old Ampeg Jet, was buzzing like crazy. The only thing we could do to minimize it was have the guitarist stand in one exact location (in a doorway) at one exact angle (which was with the guitar completely parallel to the walls on either side of the doorway). If he moved off by more than an inch or two shit would go nuts. I was quite impressed with how well he managed to hold his spot...
Geoff Mann

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 pm

It sounds great!

Congratulations.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:48 pm

righteous!

what'd the mic blend end up being for the final mix?
get up with it

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:44 pm

telepathy wrote:righteous!

what'd the mic blend end up being for the final mix?
Thanks!

Minor variations per tune but it was pretty straightforward. Mostly used more of the "heart" drum mic to get closeness without adding even more ambiance... Other than that, just bringing up what I wanted more of, plus some eq-ing out what I wanted less of when possible...

Geoff Mann

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:09 am

some of the best sounding stuff i've worked on all year. mastering was mostly me pressing 'bypass'.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm

^^^ Awesome compliment. Sounds great!
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Also, regarding the buzzing, I really think that somebody should invent a portable Faraday cage for recording. It'd make a million pesos.
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com