Compact Disc collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Compact Disc collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:23 pm

They're shiny, they're colorful, they play music. You know it's coming. Or some people are saying it's coming. I mean it may be coming.
The resurgent popularity of physical media expanding to cds as a trend, (and to an extent with cassette as well.)

July 1981 What HI-FI? article announcing some kind of coming laser audio right around the corner.

I got rid of most of my cds a few years back, still have a few boxes...

So what's going to be collectable?
re-masters will surely jockey for position. Which re-master is the definitive etc.

smaller run stuff, off the beaten path?

Jazz, jazz, jazz..

BBC comps, product demo cds?

funk, dub, Brazillian fuzz guitar, Indian psych, Zappa and Mancini tribute compilations? (Linda Perry autographed solo albums?)

soundtracks?

Special Edition Led Zeppelin comps?

Charles Frank Black Francis Thompson? :)

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Compact Disc collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:49 am

see now, I guess you are talking my language. I sold all of my vinyl around 1990 I think? We found a cat around then and he liked to sleep on top of the turntable (with a cover). I got used to popping in CDs because either the cat was on top of the turntable (which was on top of the "stereo cabinet"), or it was just full of fur and I didn't feel like cleaning it off so that I could play vinyl. So more than anything laziness, caused me to turn to CDs (same reason I listen to streaming music today...). So I sold my few boxes of vinyl and the turntable and figured I would use the profits to buy more CDs. And I did buy a few, but some of that money probably went for food and bills too. I have a few vinyl records I keep, but nothing to play them on.

Same story goes for the big box of cassette tapes I had, but this was probably more around the late 90's or 2000 (when MP3's were proliferating). Some were "store bought" tapes (or from the "record clubs") but most of them were tapes I recorded - from vinyl - which is the way kids used to "share" music before digital. I just gave the tapes away to a co-worker at the time. I only have a few left - mostly band recordings, etc. I do still have my Onkyo tape deck though.

but I did keep buying more CDs through the 90's, 2000's 2010's and then things may have slowed a bit but I still try to buy one every so often. I think the most recent CDs I bought were probably Webb Wilder's "Night Without Love" and The Dirty Knobs (Dirty Knobs). The sad thing is I probably have almost as many copies of CDs from bands out in my studio that never sold, or the band broke up, etc. Many boxes... lol
cdcollection.jpg
cdcollection.jpg (163.74 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:38 pm

Somewhat OT but, mang, I cannot get into that The Dirty Knobs.

On the Black Francis tip, there's a cuppla really good live concerts out, one with The Pistoleros in Germany, and also The Pixies new stuff is actually pretty cool, and the recent outtakes releases (ex., The Purple Album) can be really good. And Erotica and the double one are great of his solo stuff. Oh, and Bluefinger rocks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:24 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:49 am
The sad thing is I probably have almost as many copies of CDs from bands out in my studio that never sold, or the band broke up, etc. Many boxes... lol
Hmm..unsung band cds. Just an idea, to give them a moment in the sun, If you like, would be cool to see a cover shot of these band's cd's and a little write up on their sound and the experience you had with them?
vvv wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:38 pm

On the Black Francis tip, there's a cuppla really good live concerts out, one with The Pistoleros in Germany, and also The Pixies new stuff is actually pretty cool, and the recent outtakes releases (ex., The Purple Album) can be really good. And Erotica and the double one are great of his solo stuff. Oh, and Bluefinger rocks.
Yeah, bluefinger, couldn't find it for it's family photo above, but very good.

tbh Haven't checked out a lot of Pixies newest stuff. Will have to remedy that.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:47 am

Now you tell me... couple months ago I threw away most of the CD collection. Kept all the odd stuff I still liked, and of course all the Tom Waits and such.

A few years ago I was at a memorial service for a friend who had lots of musician friends, and one of the interesting conversations that came up was how Japanese collectors were going nuts over one-off releases (punk or whatever) that some of these musos had recorded back in the 80s/90s. "Sure wish I'd hung onto that crate of unsold copies".

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:55 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:47 am
Now you tell me... couple months ago I threw away most of the CD collection. Kept all the odd stuff I still liked, and of course all the Tom Waits and such.
Ha!, I figured you'd hold to your Tom Waits. I've just got Swordfish Trombones and Raindogs. (on vinyl as well).

Curious what all would be included in the ones you retained, your "odd stuff I still liked" stack.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Anyone watch the sequel?
rise and fall of the CD 83-20.jpg
rise and fall of the CD 83-20.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:04 pm

just a few random selections - something old, something new(ish)... but all good stuff
cds1.jpg
cds1.jpg (204.05 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
Mike

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:27 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:52 pm
Anyone watch the sequel?
rise and fall of the CD 83-20.jpg
Oh fine Mike, now you're going to start throwing FACTS around. :)
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:30 pm

well, I'm sure that is "new units sold". I know collectors are not always buying new and the stats don't reflect that. I still buy a lot of them used if I can.
Mike

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:21 pm

For me, CDs (particularly of the cheap used variety) are a great way to try out new (to me) music. Pre-pandemic I regularly scoured the dollar CD section of a local record store--honestly, at a buck per album, how can you not take a chance on a band with a cool name or a nice album cover? I've found a couple of things I overlooked years ago (Luscious Jackson's In Search of Manny and Secret Swingers by Versus, for example) that have now wormed their way into regular rotation, and I've gotten to try out some fairly diverse and relatively unknown stuff as well.

Of course, we do have the internet now, and apparently it is just eat up with music & stuff, but there's a certain satisfaction to listening to an album vs. a song on youtubs.

Oh, and here's something for all you Frank Black freaks--just dug this out of storage:
DSCN9048.JPG
DSCN9048.JPG (136.6 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:29 am

Ver' cool!

Outta cat-ossity, what's the full name of the bottom CD, "Brian D ..."? Or izzit "Brian Blade"?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:14 pm

vvv wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:29 am
Outta cat-ossity, what's the full name of the bottom CD, "Brian D ..."? Or izzit "Brian Blade"?
Brian Dewan, who is also known for being the co-creator of the Dewanatron.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:48 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.