Recommend good turntable for listening

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Recommend good turntable for listening

Post by christiannokes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Does anybody here listen to vinyl on a turntable? I have a Sony PSJ11 but the needle broke and I am considering just buying a better player now. Any recommendations for one that is relatively good for a low price. Preferably less than 200 dollars?

Byll
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Byll » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Please forgive me for not answering your question precisely as you have asked it. For $200, including cartridge, you will really not get a 'better' player. May I humbly suggest the Project Debut series... I have their least expensive model - with cartridge: $300, street. Used ones are sometimes available at approximately the price you have stated. This will be a worthwhile upgrade that will serve you well, for years.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters'

Lisa Diane Cope
1963-1979

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Post by christiannokes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked up some reviews and that sounds like a good entry level audiophile player which seems appropriate for my level of interest. Do you own the Pro-Ject debut III? Did you get the black color? All of the other colors cost an extra 100+ dollars- geeze!

Byll
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Byll » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:16 am

I will admit that I was extremely fortunate in the purchase of my Debut III. I had an old Bang & Olufsen 8000 Series table, plus two cartridges, that I had bought, very used. I was never fond of it. The Project dealer had a buyer for that particular model, and traded me a Ferrari red Project Debut III table, plus the Project electronic speed control and phone pre, even up. Under normal circumstances, I would have been very happy with the black unit. I have seen them, and they are handsome. The base looks like a dark mirror. Very nice... Trust me, the colors are not worth the extra money.

A personal aside: I have a friend, who is actually one of the finest McIntosh techs in the United States. He has looked carefully at - and has worked with - the entire Project series of tables, and considers the one I own - and that you are considering - to be the most cost-effective of the bunch. He is not fond of the next higher unit's carbon fiber arm upgrade.

My own experience with my Debut III is totally positive. It is a fine unit. One of its very nice 'extra' features is the cartridge. The stock cartridge is a lower model in the Ortofon line. However, the stylus is upgradeable in the future, which automatically gives one a higher model cartridge in that series.

Rega, and a few other turntable manufacturers, build turntables in the Project price range. I personally feel that the Project has an edge in ergonomics, build, and quality control.

Best to you in your choice.
Byll
'Everything Matters'

Lisa Diane Cope
1963-1979

bigbuck418
audio school

Post by bigbuck418 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

Hey there. New handle, old poster (I lost my old email & password)

Anyway, I've been sweating the same choice and was looking at the Music Hall 2.2 LE.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KO ... del range.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Technics SL-1700. It's very similar to the infamous SL-1200 (has the same direct drive motor), but it has an auto return feature. Its quiet, and the speed never fluctuates. Get a nice cartridge and stylus and set it up correctly and you'll have a great sounding turntable for cheap. I bought mine off ebay for like $50. They seem to go for $100 or less pretty regularly.

The only bummer about it is that it doesn't have a marker for the little knobs that set the motor speed for 33 or 45 rpm. I just put on an album that I had both on LP and mp3 and played them at the same time and just matched up the speed by ear, then marked it off with a Sharpie. Not a big deal for how reliable inexpensive and great it sounds.