Looking for a tiny hexwrench (.035") to open an EV RE20

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Looking for a tiny hexwrench (.035") to open an EV RE20

Post by jgimbel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Kind of a weird request I know. I've got an EV RE20 that has got something wrong with it. Unfortunately I don't have any of the super tiny hex wrenches (the size is 0.035") needed to take the screw out. I've searched every store in the area - hardware, gun, jewelry - for this size wrench, and no one's got them, except in huge sets of wrenches that are way more than I want to spend just for this. You can buy those individual wrenches on Amazon for less than $0.50, but I can't find any way to get one without paying much much higher than the cost of it for shipping (not to mention every single one seems to have ridiculous wait times, like weeks, before they'll ship). I've got plenty of hexes and it's also stupid for me to buy a full sex of hexes just to have the one I need.

So I thought, before I waste all this money to pay for shipping and force myself to wait a month to even OPEN this mic, that I'd see if anyone on here had that size of hex, maybe from doing an RE20 repair themselves, that would maybe want to sell me theirs, or hell, let me borrow it through the mail, and I can send it back. I just need it to open the damn thing and I feel like this is DMV-level stupidity, where it's all this trouble just to open a mic to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it. I'm not entirely sure that the issue isn't something I can fix myself, so I'm not set on sending it to MicDaddy as has been recommended, though I will be doing that if I open it and figure out it's something I can't fix.

Can anyone help? I can pay for shipping or whatever, though the thing would fit in the most tiniest envelope and could be just send in the mail. Anyone able to help me out?

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Hex-size-Ind ... 39&sr=8-12

My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

jdmcgee
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jdmcgee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

I would love to be able to find one of these as well. If you find a way to get one on the cheap let me know.

Thanks, jd

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:21 pm

McMaster-Carr 7122A12 - 22 cents each. I don't recall a minimum order, shipping will be a few bucks though.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:29 am

Scodiddly wrote:McMaster-Carr 7122A12 - 22 cents each. I don't recall a minimum order, shipping will be a few bucks though.
There are plenty of places online that have them for cheap, but the point is I'm trying to avoid paying ridiculous shipping costs and wait times to get something someone might just have any not use and be able to sell it to me and mail it, no big deal.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:54 am

Well this is tragic, I just lifted my ancient set of Radio Shack hex keys from off the wall and the smallest it goes down to is .050!

I could send it to you, you could file it down, maybe?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:34 am

If you have a local Ace Hardware, it might be worth checking to see if they have anything. Seems like that's where I picked up a couple of tiny hex wrenches some years back when I was in need.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:37 am

jgimbel wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:McMaster-Carr 7122A12 - 22 cents each. I don't recall a minimum order, shipping will be a few bucks though.
There are plenty of places online that have them for cheap, but the point is I'm trying to avoid paying ridiculous shipping costs and wait times to get something someone might just have any not use and be able to sell it to me and mail it, no big deal.
So you don't want to wait for a company to send it to you, but you're fine with waiting for somebody you don't know to send it to you.

Just buy the damn wrench, dude. :)
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:10 am

Try an optometrist/foo-foo eyeglass store.
I am the Walnut

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:48 am

Just find a local machine shop and ask to borrow one of theirs for a minute.

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

most auto shops that would do engine rebuilds would have this kind of thing too. UAP/NAPA or SnapOn Tools should have individual pieces as well.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:15 pm

b3groover wrote:
jgimbel wrote:
So you don't want to wait for a company to send it to you, but you're fine with waiting for somebody you don't know to send it to you.

Just buy the damn wrench, dude. :)
I know!!

Hobby shop?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Very helpful, thanks.

You don't have to agree with me if you don't want but spending ten bucks and waiting a month for something that someone might be able to just slap in an envelope and send for less than a buck and get to me in a few days, max is pretty ridiculous. Not wasting money is the way that I've found works best to allow me to do things like eat. I don't think it's absurd to check if anyone on a pretty generous board had one they don't use before spending more than a necessary chunk on it. God forbid!

Anyway..the local Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's, and the small place near my house don't have anything this small. I hadn't thought to try an optometrist, I'll try that next. We don't have any gun places around here, but we do have some jewelry stores (I've heard this size is only really used on guns and jewelry), so I'll try that and an optometrist. The auto places around here have said they don't use parts that small, so I haven't had any luck there. Thanks!

jdmcgee
gimme a little kick & snare

I GOT .035" WRENCHES!!!

Post by jdmcgee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I just got a quantity of 10 hex wrenches in the .035" size (10 is all they had) from an industrial supplier out here in Orange County for $0.75 per wrench. If anyone needs them I'm willing to let go of 8 of them so let me know via PM. I'll mail them out to you. To cover the stamp, PayPal fees & the envelope the price will be $2.00 for 1 wrench then $0.75 for each additional wrench in the same envelope. I'm not looking to make money on them, I just don't want to lose money on them.

Let me know, jd

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:24 pm

OK, so you got lucky here. But still, sometimes you just have to spend money to avoid spending even more money. How much did it cost you in gas and time to search all the stores in town?

And yeah, at work once in a while I've ended up spending $30 in shipping to get $5 in parts overnight.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Scodiddly wrote:OK, so you got lucky here. But still, sometimes you just have to spend money to avoid spending even more money. How much did it cost you in gas and time to search all the stores in town?

And yeah, at work once in a while I've ended up spending $30 in shipping to get $5 in parts overnight.
No extra gas. I go to stores near where I'm going to be anyway. I knew someone was going to say that. I don't know about you but it doesn't take me much time to figure out if a store has what I'm looking for. It may not be for you, but for me $10 is a decent chunk of money. That's about much I spend on food for two or three days. I'm not living on the streets or anything, and I pretty often choose holding onto equipment that I need in order to make the music I want to make (and I'm very, very fortunate I have that choice to make), but I can't say I feel like an idiot for trying to save money. On the contrary..