looking for oktava ml 52 manual

jkudler
audio school

looking for oktava ml 52 manual

Post by jkudler » Tue May 20, 2003 1:39 pm

hey there - i just got an oktava ml 52 ribbon mic off of ebay, and it didn't include any kind of manual or documentation, if it's even supposed to. does anyone have this stuff? if you'd be willing to xerox it for me, i could cover postage and a little bit of money, or possibly figure out something to trade.

thanks a lot,
jesse

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Re: looking for oktava ml 52 manual

Post by SpaceCad » Tue May 20, 2003 2:33 pm

I'm not sure if they even have manuals for any of their mics. I bought an 012 recently and there was nothing in the box - no spec sheet, frequency analysis, nothing. You might check online and see if you can download something.

Is there a specific question regarding this mic that you hope to have answered?

jkudler
audio school

Post by jkudler » Tue May 20, 2003 2:51 pm

thanks for the info. since the oktavas seemingly come from various sources, i think they maybe sometimes have manuals and sometimes not. the main thing i was looking for was care advice, since this is my first ribbon mic. i also wanted to get the specs, but they have some at oktava.net. i guess it's got 200 ohms of impedance at the output, as opposed to the usual 50 for ribbons (presumably vintage ones)? i was switching back and forth on my vtb-1 preamp today, and i can't figure out why the higher resistance setting gives higher output with the other settings the same. oh well.

-j.

bradavenson
audio school graduate

Post by bradavenson » Wed May 28, 2003 9:34 pm

Jesse,
the output will decrease when you change the impedance switch to a lower value because the input impedance is in parrallel with the output impedance of the mic. I have a ML-52 and it didn't really come with anything useful. But trust me, they don't like snares. :D

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:43 am

I just wrote a review on them in the last issue and i think they're great for certain things. Mine were new and came with no documentation at all, but I did a frequency response analysis of one of mine and 8 MC012s. (Interestingly enough, 7 of the MC012s were within 1 dB of identical to each other. So much for the incosistency complaints. It's all in the finish.) I don't have a scanner, but could send you a copy if you're interested. It's nowhere near flat, by the way.

Chris Garges

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:31 pm

I posted the one that came with mine:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... light=ml52