first mix of song of album...

evan
buyin' gear

first mix of song of album...

Post by evan » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:16 pm

http://pushy.org/the_logs_-_smile_(sans_drums).mp3

Currently without drums; I'll be tracking them for all my songs at once since I'll be borrowing a kit. I plan them to be huge and thumping, a la Fugazi's "Ex-Spectator", sort of. I don't know. Driving. But tell me what you think so far. I was happy to find that the $7 Superscope small-diaphragm condenser I got at a garage sale works pretty well on ukelele and toy piano.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: first mix of song of album...

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:12 am

Can't find the page, can't save as target either.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:06 am

Hm, seems to be working okay for me...you can try this mirror I'm hosting locally:
ftp://saucy.kicks-ass.net/the_logs_-_sm ... drums).mp3

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:33 am

Ahhhhhhhhhcome on.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:09 am

Nice feeling to it, kind of summery. I like the way the top of the gain on the bass and the keyboard part meet here and there and add a bit of a sparkle if that makes sense at all. Bass sounds a little loud right now, but it's hard to tell how that's going to fit once the drums are there. In some ways reminds me of crosby, stills, nash and young but obviously more recently recorded. I think that gain on the bass is going to really souind nice when the drums are tracked. Nice one.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:12 pm

i think the songs are great! but, how are you gonna add drums? did you play to click track?

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:28 pm

Rigsby wrote:Nice feeling to it, kind of summery. I like the way the top of the gain on the bass and the keyboard part meet here and there and add a bit of a sparkle if that makes sense at all. Bass sounds a little loud right now, but it's hard to tell how that's going to fit once the drums are there. In some ways reminds me of crosby, stills, nash and young but obviously more recently recorded. I think that gain on the bass is going to really souind nice when the drums are tracked. Nice one.
It's funny, you're the second to describe the song with that same adjective. I was infected by the Beach Boys a few years ago, what can I say. Yeah, the fuzz-bass just happens to fit with the bandoneon tone on my Casio. I think the drums may be tricky, but I hope not. I'll have to adjust the bass accordingly, after they're recorded. And hey, a CSN&Y comparison is great by me.
gabewheel2000 wrote:i think the songs are great! but, how are you gonna add drums? did you play to click track?
I don't use clicks; I usually do rhythm guitar first, with a strummed count-off that I trim off during mixdown. As to how I'm going to add them...well, I'm just going to add them. We'll how what kind of trouble I'll get into when I record them...

Thanks both of you for your responses, glad you liked the song! I'm also glad you don't think it sounds too bad, since I recorded half of it in my tiny dorm (the backup vocals and acoustic guitar) and the rest at my not-so-great-sounding parents' house.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:20 am

tis is a really well written and orchestrated piece, so it wouldn't matter what the recording sounded like, that would still come through. That said, I think the production is appropriate. Nice work!

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Thanks!

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:01 am

Very nice. I would almost say it's summery. The vocals are really good, nice fun harmonies. I like it the way it is w/out drums, but I'm sure they would add something. I might think of just adding kick and tambourine on the choruses instead of a beat. $.02 Good job

cd

dMiurge
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dMiurge » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:24 pm

gabewheel2000 wrote:i think the songs are great! but, how are you gonna add drums? did you play to click track?
My sentiments exactly. Have you ever tried recording drums over a re-recorded track? It's a major pain in the ass, and damn near impossible with out a click track. Even if you do get the timing right it will never feel completely natural. There is a reason why studios lay down the drums first. Oh well, good luck man!

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:33 pm

logancircle wrote:Very nice. I would almost say it's summery. The vocals are really good, nice fun harmonies. I like it the way it is w/out drums, but I'm sure they would add something. I might think of just adding kick and tambourine on the choruses instead of a beat.
Hey, thanks! Actually, the demo of this only had a downbeat and handclaps. I'll probably be emulating that on this version by putting emphasis on the downbeat and putting the rest of the kit farther back in the mix. Or I may just have a downbeat. We'll see how it works out.
dMiurge wrote:Have you ever tried recording drums over a re-recorded track?
I have, and I didn't find it especially difficult. In any case, I'll manage.

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:02 am

Very nice!

I can totally hear that beach boys style production, I'm a big fan of that sound too.

I imagine the drums as being sparse and orchestra like too in keeping with that vein. More accents than beats?

It actually doesn't sound like it really even needs drums at all.

I think I'm gonna listen to it again!

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:21 pm

Shabbadoo wrote:Very nice! I can totally hear that beach boys style production, I'm a big fan of that sound too.
Hey thanks, but honestly I wasn't going for it. My backup vocals -- or really, my songwriting use of it -- is definitely influenced by the Beach Boys, but I didn't have them in mind when mixing and recording it.
Shabbadoo wrote:I imagine the drums as being sparse and orchestra like too in keeping with that vein. More accents than beats?
Yeah, like I said, the only percussion my demo of the song had was a giant reverby downbeat and handclaps, but I might want the drums to do more. We'll see when it happens.
Shabbadoo wrote:It actually doesn't sound like it really even needs drums at all.
A good thing, because I think it could only get better if the rhythm is strong without the drums.
Shabbadoo wrote:I think I'm gonna listen to it again!
Great! I'm really happy that I got so many positive responses to this song.