Pop, featuring: open chords; funny drum fills; gang vocals.

Jay
pushin' record

Pop, featuring: open chords; funny drum fills; gang vocals.

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:11 am

Hey Tape Op 'Gang,' here's a song! I posted one from my band's first album like, two messageboards ago and got a good little discussion goin', so here's one from the second album. It's going to be a 7" first, then I'll probably get bored and change it for the cd. Any comments/criticism would be super-appreciated. Actually I'm quite curious about the details of mastering for 7". No crazy low end panned to the sides, right? [But I will not be mastering this. Ohnononono]

Anyhoo, here it is:
http://members.axion.net/~almamcd/inter ... ome_on.mp3

Oh! Awesome! Horses chasing cows outsdide!!!

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Re: Pop, featuring: open chords; funny drum fills; gang voca

Post by greenmeansjoe » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:29 am

Jay,

Very nice. The drums amble along nicely. The bass has just enough rumble. The melody is sweet and breezy. I dig the girl/boy vocals. And that electric piano -- or whatever it is -- sounds great.

Cool tune. I have nothing bad to say.

Joe

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:54 am

Thanks! I was worried about too much low end so the bass is through a Twin Reverb miced with either a PL20 or maybe an R121. I was going through a phase of terrible bass sounds. The wurly is just its own speakers and a 57.

Horses vs. Cows Update: Horses are eating grass. Cows are nowhere to be seen, presumed standing in trees.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:42 pm

sounds great!
where are you guys from?
cheers,
raymond

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:37 pm

I'm really diggin' this. It's like the good old country before Nahsville ruined things. And I really like the sound of everything. The bass, the drums, the guitars, the vocals--all nice. Excellent stuff.

What kind of guitar are you playing and how did you mic it? I really like the sound of it.
I am wangtacular.

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:25 pm

Thanks guys!

We're from Vancouver (plus one Victoria resident), but I moved to a farmhouse outside the city last year. However, one of the voices on this song lives in Anacortes, and another Boston-via-Halifax. We were going for that bi-national harmony sound.

The guitar is a 1970s "K. Suzuki Co." that Megan (band member and owner of an aforementioned cow-harassing horse) got from her old roomate's crazy uncle. It came with an original Big Muff and a Univox Minikorg. Dude!!!!!!!!!!!

It's miced with an R121 (fretboard) and a bit of Stapes (body); everything except the snare drum went through an RNP. The snare got stuck with the Mackie pre, but it sounds funny so it's alright. It's all "splat!"

I go for good sounds, but failing that, funny will do.