Tapeop knowledge in action!

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Tapeop knowledge in action!

Post by llmonty » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:01 am

Alright, here is my latest song. I would be interested in any comments on the mix.

Jeez, it would be great if someone else could mix my own song, to take away my performanc biases (hide the vocals!) or my overcompensation for those biases (turn up the vocals and quardruple track them). :shock:

This actually if my first recording with proper drums, and bass, and some decent gear.

Tapeop gleaned insights include: doubling vocals, reamping, using reference cds, carving out eq space for the instruments, over the shoulder acoustic micing, etc.

The song I am talking about is Procession" - the 1st one on the featured list at http://adamrose.iuma.com

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Re: Tapeop knowledge in action!

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:02 pm

The drums kind of vanish in the verse. I would bring down that acoustic. The doubled vocals is a neat trick, but I think I would employ the technique in the chorus or verse instead of both. I know it's often hard to be objective when mixing your own music. I often wish I could talk someone else into mixing my tunes. At any rate, keep up the good work, keep having fun, and most importantly, trust your own ears and instincts.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Tapeop knowledge in action!

Post by wing » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:43 pm

yea, it's quite good, the recording quality and sound you achieved sounds really good. the acoustic sounds great to me. but i also would suggest taking down the acoustic or turning up the drums. in any event, i would suggest more drums...

but then again, i'm biased as a drummer ;)