garageband

ericcart
audio school graduate

garageband

Post by ericcart » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:13 pm

has anybody tried using the new apple garageband recording software? i just got it and it's fun to use. i have been recording on analog cassette 4 tracks for a long time, but haven't yet gotten involved in digital recording. garageband was cheap so i thought i'd give it a try. it allows you to make compositions using prerecorded loops and / or plugging in real instruments. i don't have an audio interface as of yet so i made a song using only loops (other than a couple of tracks of me whistling into my imac's built in mic)

check it out:

http://www.icompositions.com/auditorium ... d_song.mp3

any comments or thoughts would be delicious

dougo
pushin' record

Re: garageband

Post by dougo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:34 am

ericcart wrote:has anybody tried using the new apple garageband recording software? i just got it and it's fun to use. i have been recording on analog cassette 4 tracks for a long time, but haven't yet gotten involved in digital recording. garageband was cheap so i thought i'd give it a try. it allows you to make compositions using prerecorded loops and / or plugging in real instruments. i don't have an audio interface as of yet so i made a song using only loops (other than a couple of tracks of me whistling into my imac's built in mic)

check it out:

http://www.icompositions.com/auditorium ... d_song.mp3

any comments or thoughts would be delicious
Enjoyed your mix. Perhaps you can search for a used oxygen 8 usb midi controller to enjoy the software instruments in the software. It will enhance loops with even more of your personality.

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:51 am

i actually have a little M-Audio Keystation 49e USB Midi Keyboard on order.

i also need an affordable (ie cheap) audio interface of some kind so i can plug in real instruments and mics. i was looking at the M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface just to get started

any advice on a good interface?

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:39 pm

ericcart wrote:i actually have a little M-Audio Keystation 49e USB Midi Keyboard on order.

i also need an affordable (ie cheap) audio interface of some kind so i can plug in real instruments and mics. i was looking at the M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface just to get started

any advice on a good interface?
I personally have a M-Box which I've been using for Pro Tools LE. I'll be working to see if it will work with Garageband. This is kinda a chunk o' cash to kick if you plan to use it only for Garageband. On the flipside you get the Pro Tools software which is nice to work with.

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:46 pm

how much does something like that run? i'm guessing 600-700 bucks? probably more than i can afford at this jun-c-ture. i think i've looked into those in the past.

is pro tools hard to figure out?

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:19 am

ericcart wrote:how much does something like that run? i'm guessing 600-700 bucks? probably more than i can afford at this jun-c-ture. i think i've looked into those in the past.

is pro tools hard to figure out?
I just checked www.audiomidi.com and their price is $449.00. Not too bad I figure. The other day i just configured the mbox to see garageband. You just go to the Digidesgn coreaudio setup and it just takes a couple of seconds.

Now I can track vocals, bass, guitar thru the mbox pres straight into garageband. I'll try to whip up something to listen to.

To set up and record through pro tools was fairly easy. I will admit I am just using it as you would a standard good old analog system. No fancy editing at this point. I don't want to get too carried away. I personally am just learning about the whole midi thing so I can't say about the ease of integration of midi thru pro tools. I essentially use the pro tools as my home

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:14 am

that sounds like a good deal. i will have to look into it... pro tools is probably the way to go as far as digital recording. garageband is fun to play with, but i look at it more as a toy... although i'm not partial as far as recording goes. whatever means necessary.

maibla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by maibla » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:32 pm

nice song!

Yah I was actually wondering about that software for garageland.
I need an audio program (or would like one) and that seems the cheapest out there I can find, I haven't been able to find any good free programs.

I was looking at the apple website, I'm a bit confused, you can plug in your own instrument right? Because it just talks about how you can compose stuff without an instrument which isn't really what I want. I just want a program that I can use with my own stuff.

I was also wondering how many tracks are available as well. I'm supposing unlimited? BUt I didn't find many answers on the apple website-that's nothing new.
Thanks!

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:06 pm

yeah, you can plug in instruments and use garageband as a regular multi-tracking program. you can add loops and mix and match. you need an audio interface of some kind to plug in your instrument or mic, but that's true of any program. it also has built in synth sounds that you can use if you have a midi keyboard of some kind. you can buy a decent m-audio synth on the apple site for around 100 bucks. i just got one and it's cool. there are a lot of sounds to use and you can manipulate them by adding effects. overall, i'd say for the price it's a great deal if you own a mac.

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm

also, i forgot to mention that the only limit on the number of tracks is how much your computer can handle

maibla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by maibla » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:17 pm

oh cool.
thanks for letting me know. I figure a $50 audio program is hard to beat (if you have a mac unless you know someone who can give you a free version). The interface is typical, but if I can get a cheap functional audio prgram then I feel better about also having to buy the interface. I also have a keyboard with midi on it so I figure I can use that with the right interface.
Anyway I'll definitly be considering it. I realize it's not Pro Tools but hey, I just cant afford that, or any of the other $300+ software!! :) Maigin