glass drums and vise grips

syrupcore
deaf.

Re: glass drums and vise grips

Post by syrupcore » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:30 am

great. on my third listen... augustus would be proud.

will

marcusb
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by marcusb » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:58 pm

psychicoctopus wrote: Honestly, on Dec 25th all I did was hang out at home playing with sounds. I ended up making a track with the stuff in this picture. Everything was recorded in the bathroom with an MK-14 stereo LDC.
Man that is absolutely awesome ... FANTASTIC sounds ... are you still planning on releasing those EXS24 instruments.

So impressed.

Well done man.

Cheers,
Marcus

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:51 pm

marcusb wrote:are you still planning on releasing those EXS24 instruments.
the links are on page 2 of this thread.
the glass drum samples are special now - I recently broke the poor thing jamming out on it too hard. :cry: at least the mics were on when it happened! :D it's called a Fernbach flask and it was made for culturing bacteria or something.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:23 pm

gyrofrog.com wrote:Along thse same lines, anyone remember the trick where you take a wire hanger, suspend it from a piece of thread, and then use your fingers to hold the ends of the thread in your ears?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, try it. The clothes hanger will sound like a gong or large bell when you bang it against a metal object (such as a chair leg).

The reason I brought this up: I'm wondering how to mic this sound. Tape the end of the thread to a piezo, maybe?
I imagine that would work pretty well.

I bet Bart Hopkin would suggest something involving styrofoam. It makes a good soundboard for practically anything. The reason has something to do with acoustic impedance (like electrical impedance but relating to vibrations). I don't have a good grasp on this, but I think a piece of styrofoam is like a Hi-Z input - it doesn't load down vibrating things and alter their resonance much. it has a bunch of rigid surface area and little weight.

A coat hanger is like a tuning fork - it vibrates nicely but doesn't couple those vibrations to the air well. to capture the sound with a normal microphone, it needs a soundboard. You could hang the coat hanger from a styrofoam board with thread, and mic the styrofoam. that would probably sound the closest to what you hear by pressing the threads to your ears.

that makes four connections between the coathanger and the microphone: coathanger to thread, thread to styrofoam, styrofoam to air, air to microphone. You can usually trust the last one!

Or, just put your (ferromagnetic) coathanger next to an electric guitar or bass pickup, lined up like the string would be. This probably makes one hell of a raucous sound!

gyrofrog.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by gyrofrog.com » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:47 pm

psychicoctopus wrote:I imagine that would work pretty well.

I bet Bart Hopkin would suggest something involving styrofoam.
BTW thanx for the info regarding Bart Hopkin and Experimental Musical Instruments. I'd heard of the magazine years and years ago, but never checked it out while it was still being published. Guess I'm a putz and/or a yutz. Anyway, now I have a long list pof projects to work on when I have time and finish my other projects.

gyrofrog.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by gyrofrog.com » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:20 am

This was included in the most recent newsletter from "Musician's Friend." I'm not sure how long this link will work, though:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/con ... rc=3NL4CHB

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:56 pm

That sounds awesome..really like the melodica sounding part..the low mids/high bass frequencies are the money and that was listening through earbuds..fucking nice even though your instruments look like my meth lab..

lukakis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lukakis » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:28 pm

hey everybody-

I mapped out the samples for the glass drum into an NNXT patch, if there's anybody using Reason who wants to use this. Hopefully I'll have the kalimba coming next within a day or two.

Here's the link-
www.oddmeter.net/luke/other/glassdrum.zip

Enjoy!
www.oddmeter.net

Dare you to be creative!

Sigmon
audio school graduate

Post by Sigmon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:03 am

Really great stuff. Thanks for sharing this. Very unique, thoroughly enjoyable, sonically, just completely interesting. I think you ought to turn it into a MOVIE. Man, somebody get the cameras...

Cheers,
Sigmon

elementsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by elementsound » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:00 pm

WOW Like everybody has already said simply amazing!

--James

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:27 am

I'm completely down. I LOVE that you made this with real instruments instead of stinking synthesizers. BRA-frickn'-VO.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

FuzzGtr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by FuzzGtr » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:34 pm

again - fucking rad!

wow - just a great balance overall. I hope you score some film soon - that's all i thought of whilst listening - and thanks for the patches; i'll see if i can get em into gigasampler and will let you know :)

some day soon - i wanna make a nice guitar-feedback loop patch for all of you to use.
-o-0 FUZZY 0-o-
------------------

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:09 pm

rad! heard of harry partch?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:30 am

Really really good, and thanks for sharing it. Frankly (and i hope she doesn't read this EVER), makes me want to spend christmas day by myself. If you ever come to the UK, pls mail me, be great to try something together. Loved it three times last night, just off for a fourth. :D
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:20 pm

Mate, i hope you're still reading these, my friend and I are listening to your piece again and i'm so taken with it.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com