Mixed, Mastered, and ready for some feeback!

maconmusic
audio school graduate

Mixed, Mastered, and ready for some feeback!

Post by maconmusic » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:19 pm

ok, ok......its been about 4 months in production and mixing and mastering, but it is ready for any and all reviews. This is a song, called "Abyss", off of the CD about to be released, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If ya dont like the genre, so be it, judge the quality and listenability of it then. Thanks in advance.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/hybridlmusic.htm

mildred-pitt
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Mixed, Mastered, and ready for some feeback!

Post by mildred-pitt » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:35 am

:cry:

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:38 am

sounds very nice and slick and stuff, although i'm really not your man for judging nu-metal ish stuff.... it sounds like the stuff i hear on the rare occurance i turn on the radio, so i suppose that's good! i can hear everything clearly.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:01 pm

I'm listening on my PC speakers (Cambridge Soundworks -- not total shit but also not monitors). I'm assuming you're posting because you want suggestions.

For reference, I'm particularly fond of overbearing indierock (Shiner Failure Houston Hum) but have been known to honestly enjoy Incubus, Korn, Deftones, and other mainstreamish numetal bands.

To my ears there's too much dynamic distance between the vox and the guitar when the chorus kicks in. Basically, I want the distorted guitar to be louder, which will also give the song more dynamic umph in the chorus.

Also, I feel like some of the stops aren't quite as tight as they should be -- maybe it's the performance and maybe it's that the drums need to cut through at those moments.

Otherwise, it's very well done, though personally the song isn't, well, quirky enough to pique my tastes.

Hope this helps.

--JES

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:02 am

im listening to the first song on the webpage

the snare durm is out of phase. it was the first thing i noticed

i think there is too much reverb on the drums. it makes it sound kinda 80's

this is some of the most uncreative and uninspired guitar playing ever, congrats

there are too many spots where the vocal is out of tune or the drums get a little sloppy. in a different style that might be a good thing. but for something that is approaching being so slick, it is unacceptable IMHO

the toms sound rediculous, especially the last fill

that snare drum is driving me nuts

i dont even listen to indie rock and i think this sucks. no offense! i mean, you asked for people's opinions.. and i have a knack for being overly blunt. so take this shit with a grain of salt. (yummy, salty shit!)

maconmusic
audio school graduate

Post by maconmusic » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:45 am

tiger vomitt wrote:im listening to the first song on the webpage

the snare durm is out of phase. it was the first thing i noticed

i think there is too much reverb on the drums. it makes it sound kinda 80's

this is some of the most uncreative and uninspired guitar playing ever, congrats

there are too many spots where the vocal is out of tune or the drums get a little sloppy. in a different style that might be a good thing. but for something that is approaching being so slick, it is unacceptable IMHO

the toms sound rediculous, especially the last fill

that snare drum is driving me nuts

i dont even listen to indie rock and i think this sucks. no offense! i mean, you asked for people's opinions.. and i have a knack for being overly blunt. so take this shit with a grain of salt. (yummy, salty shit!)
Yo tiger.....thanks for the 2 cents, however I do feel i owe ya some change!!
FYI, snare is NOT out of phase, sorry, it was recorded and checked prior to laying it down. Also, sorry, no reverb on the entire kit, that is just room mics and compression. Guitar playing.....hmm, how does one make a balladish guitar style, maybe it should have been like eric johnson? Then again, it wouldnt be a ballad then would it. Also, timing on the drums......I dont know what to tell ya bud, done to a click, and dead on, maybe need to recalibrate the ears? And the last tom fill, let me guess, it needed some neil pert fills right? Wouldnt that just fit great in a ballad? Dont get me wrong, I love opinions and take critiques very well, however, when ya just dont know what youre talking about, maybe ya shouldnt. Thats all for now.

bostonfan2
audio school graduate

Post by bostonfan2 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:55 pm

Ok,
Listening on my monitors, first thing is i like this tune !
The reverb on the snare is a bit much if your looking for
a modern sound , the guitars coming in on the chorus sound
real good to me, when i listened thru headphones the tune
could use to be a little wider , i think you did a good job
of capturing the feel for this tune . What equipment did you
use for tracking , mixing and mastering? keep up the good tunes!

Ray

http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=12918

Lostboy
gettin' sounds

Post by Lostboy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:29 pm

i am not used to listening to this genre, but i can tell this song is well done. i don't really see any of the criticisms that tiger vomitt had. the guitars sound crunchy, the drums are tight. the drum sound is VERY roomy, which is kind of strange for this genre maybe (again, i don't really know ... ?) but i think it's fine. the roomy sound gives the song more muscle than the click-click bass drum that usually accompanies thick guitar sounds.

very nicely recorded. good job.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:11 am

maconmusic wrote:Yo tiger.....thanks for the 2 cents, however I do feel i owe ya some change!!
that's actually a good line. i gotta remember that. ok, so i listen again. im making sure i wasnt hearing things...
FYI, snare is NOT out of phase, sorry, it was recorded and checked prior to laying it down.
NOPE! sorry dude. IT'S OUT OF PHASE. listen to it. it's as clear as day to me from the first snare hit. maybe you dont know what out of phase sounds like? it is possible... it took me years to know that sound, honestly.

it's much more noticable in the verses (the clean gtr sections). hear that static phaser effect sounding thing on the snare?

could be alot of things doing it. did you use mults for compression in a digital mix? you'd have latency there, which would cause phasing. maybe your reverb returns had something funny going on. i have no idea what caused it, i wasnt there. but i sure as hell hear it now.
Also, sorry, no reverb on the entire kit, that is just room mics and compression.
it doesnt matter what the semantics of it are. the shit sounds like tears for fears. CHEESE
Guitar playing.....hmm, how does one make a balladish guitar style, maybe it should have been like eric johnson? Then again, it wouldnt be a ballad then would it.
im not exactly a fan of eric johnson, altough i am embarrassed to admit that when i was 14 i liked joe satriani for about a half hour.

the intro stuff is ok i guess. but when the distortion comes in.. you're right im floored - distorted, detuned power chords. what an innovation. kudos to you on rewriting the rock songbook.
Also, timing on the drums......I dont know what to tell ya bud, done to a click, and dead on, maybe need to recalibrate the ears? And the last tom fill, let me guess, it needed some neil pert fills right? Wouldnt that just fit great in a ballad?
neil pert? i fucking hate rush. im more of a soul / reggae / hip hop kinda person. the closest i get to prog rock is stockhausen or john cage.

it's interesting that you assume my comments were calls for more complexity.

no, not complexity - musicality.

and definitely not some insipid "let's make believe we're staind / simple plan / whatever corporate rock band bullshit youre ripping off" bullshit.
Dont get me wrong, I love opinions and take critiques very well,
yes i can see that

however, when ya just dont know what youre talking about, maybe ya shouldnt. Thats all for now.
yes it certainly is

back to the drawing board. i gotta get me on that nu metal bandwagon before the shit dies!! get outta my way!!

edit: i just realized you could be a kid or something. if this is your first "big" recording, and youre say, no older than 17... congratulations! and i totally mean it. this would be a fucking awesome first experience for someone of that age. i am not being fecetious at all in saying that. my first recordings sucked ass in a major way.

if youre 25 and have been doing this for a while, well....

maconmusic
audio school graduate

Post by maconmusic » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:50 am

tiger vomitt wrote:
maconmusic wrote:Yo tiger.....thanks for the 2 cents, however I do feel i owe ya some change!!
that's actually a good line. i gotta remember that. ok, so i listen again. im making sure i wasnt hearing things...
FYI, snare is NOT out of phase, sorry, it was recorded and checked prior to laying it down.
NOPE! sorry dude. IT'S OUT OF PHASE. listen to it. it's as clear as day to me from the first snare hit. maybe you dont know what out of phase sounds like? it is possible... it took me years to know that sound, honestly.

it's much more noticable in the verses (the clean gtr sections). hear that static phaser effect sounding thing on the snare?

could be alot of things doing it. did you use mults for compression in a digital mix? you'd have latency there, which would cause phasing. maybe your reverb returns had something funny going on. i have no idea what caused it, i wasnt there. but i sure as hell hear it now.
Also, sorry, no reverb on the entire kit, that is just room mics and compression.
it doesnt matter what the semantics of it are. the shit sounds like tears for fears. CHEESE
Guitar playing.....hmm, how does one make a balladish guitar style, maybe it should have been like eric johnson? Then again, it wouldnt be a ballad then would it.
im not exactly a fan of eric johnson, altough i am embarrassed to admit that when i was 14 i liked joe satriani for about a half hour.

the intro stuff is ok i guess. but when the distortion comes in.. you're right im floored - distorted, detuned power chords. what an innovation. kudos to you on rewriting the rock songbook.
Also, timing on the drums......I dont know what to tell ya bud, done to a click, and dead on, maybe need to recalibrate the ears? And the last tom fill, let me guess, it needed some neil pert fills right? Wouldnt that just fit great in a ballad?
neil pert? i fucking hate rush. im more of a soul / reggae / hip hop kinda person. the closest i get to prog rock is stockhausen or john cage.

it's interesting that you assume my comments were calls for more complexity.

no, not complexity - musicality.

and definitely not some insipid "let's make believe we're staind / simple plan / whatever corporate rock band bullshit youre ripping off" bullshit.
Dont get me wrong, I love opinions and take critiques very well,
yes i can see that

however, when ya just dont know what youre talking about, maybe ya shouldnt. Thats all for now.
yes it certainly is

back to the drawing board. i gotta get me on that nu metal bandwagon before the shit dies!! get outta my way!!

edit: i just realized you could be a kid or something. if this is your first "big" recording, and youre say, no older than 17... congratulations! and i totally mean it. this would be a fucking awesome first experience for someone of that age. i am not being fecetious at all in saying that. my first recordings sucked ass in a major way.

if youre 25 and have been doing this for a while, well....
Man, oh man.....I am just in awe. So much wisdom, so much insight, I never realized how right you are. I need to run home and tell the guys we need to totally change the style, cuz someone already tunes down and uses power chords, what the hell were we thinking!! There goes our plans of being a Staind cover band.......oh well, Im sure the music you create doesnt resemble anything ever recorded or played, being as creative as you are. Thanks tiger for your truely inspirational feedback, I only hope someday, when I'm as creative as you, I can sit high upon that horse you ride.....It must be such a beautiful view. Get real dude, just because you can compare it to someone else, dont mean it is. I'd love to hear something you've created, cuz I'm sure its so creative and "never been done" that Im suprised you have time to post with all the record companies beating down the door for you. I'm so past 25, you just dont know.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:55 am

yo if you didnt want criticism why did you post it?

maconmusic
audio school graduate

Post by maconmusic » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:08 am

criticism is one thing, expanding upon it by trying to dis the creator and how much you think they suck is another thing. Youre a typical basher, you need to try and tear others down to make you look or feel better, but....hey, if it makes ya feel good, dont change.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:32 am

maybe it's just the suck that is real player streaming media, but the snare drum definately sounds phasey... sorry i couldn't listen to the mp3 of it, i refuse to signup for services to listen. maybe tiger was a bit harsh (although he did include a disclaimer of being extremely blunt)... you should listen to the hifi stream, and if you think the snare sounds the same as the cd version, you definately need to check the phase of something, because it sounds seriously messed up.

i do have a feeling, however, that it's the low sampling rate of the streaming media creating the phasey sound... real player sucks.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:40 pm

dude i said i was being blunt, and to take it with a grain of salt. shit originally i wasnt even all that mean. you wanted feedback so i gave it to you.

i have nothing to gain from dissing someone i dont even know on some forum not a whole lot of people read (no offense there to anyone, i read this all the time myself!). i wasnt trying to be a dick, i was being honest.

i didnt like the song and i thought the recording was not really all it should have been. granted i was overly blunt, sorry. you asked for judgements on the song's listenability, so that's what i gave you.

id be pissed too if i spent money on having something mastered, only to find out the snare drum is out of phase. i hope you didnt do all the drums in one session!

learn to take criticism for what it is my friend, sometimes it comes wrapped in something smelly!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:50 am

I'd say what we have here is a failure to communicate.

feller 1 is from georgia, feller 2 is from brooklyn. that orta sum it all up.