Post by dayvel » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:22 pm

Have at it.

Pretty Kiddies

contrabanman
pluggin' in mics

Re: Need Ears to Check Mix

Post by contrabanman » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Ok, well not bad!

Percussion's nice, Kick and snare cut the mix. Nice tone on the snare...
Toms too man!!! Please direct your attention to the fill about 2:09 into the song... huh? That's what I'm talkin about!

Vocals fit this song well - mix wise - Definitely the focal point of the song without drowning the mix.

You might try a slight boost between 120 & 220 hz (bass) - just a weeee bit... Give it some balls!!! watch you dont' pull the kick out too much though... kick sounds good...

The Guitar is the only thing that doesnt' quite fit (in my own humble opinion - of course). The rest of the song makes me think happy, groovy, Jangly, brit pop, Vox-ish high mid's - But I'm hearing warm, saturated driven low mid's. A little eq might help that...

Overall - very nice. Good dynamic range, well spaced, nice tone - I think you may have something here!

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks for the input, glad you liked it. The drums are 60's Ludwigs, you don't have to do much to make them sound good, just tune 'em.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:38 pm

it's got a Lou Reed feel, I like it.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:05 pm

Yeah, this sounds great, love the drum sounds. really nice I also have to agrea with what contraband man said, the guitar sounds dont really fit with it. great song other than that.

The Letter M
audio school

Post by The Letter M » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:23 am

I think the guitar is cool! But the ride and hat are up a bit high, and should be broken up, or taken out a bit somehow.
The only other thing - there's not a lot of variation throughout. One more instrument near the middle would shake things up as my attention was starting to lag.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:55 am

I agree with Letter M. the fuzzy warm guitar sounds great. I'd turn it up personally. I also agree that maybe the cymbals are a little loud but the ride is perfect for the section at 2:26. the high-hat seems to be getting in the way of the vocals during the first two versus.

Oh, I really like the song a lot. on listen number 2...

will

vxmike
audio school graduate

Post by vxmike » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:07 pm

:D

I think this song cuts through...not my usual kind of music but it sounds great. The drums really cut through and seem to be full and clear. I liked the guitar tone, it has a unique twang to it. I used to listen to some bands with this kind of good time vibe but your lyrics seem ironic, serious. I wish I could get your cymbal tone... keep it up!
Mike G.
Fallen Man

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:48 pm

Thanks to all. It's nice to get thoughtful comments from people who know what they're talking about. After years of doing everything with MIDI, this is my first "live" (or as live as one person doing overdubs can be) recording in quite a while, so I was kind of apprehensive to post it. Glad to know I'm on the right track and hopefully I'll be getting better with your help. Especially if I learn how to play that damn guitar. Thanks again.