need critiques!

aaronsternke
audio school graduate

need critiques!

Post by aaronsternke » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:28 am

Hello all.

http://www.rendtheheavens.com/aslong.mp3

Be honest, I can take it. What do you like, what don't you like, and why? Thanks. Tape Op rules.

Aaron

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Re: need critiques!

Post by Electricide » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:55 pm

It sounds very nice! If you're looking for critiques....a little late for this, but maybe the wrong mic for the lead vocal? Sounds like there's some body missing..loses a touch on intimacy this track begs.

But that's nitpicking if you like. Well done!

Is this your band, or your recording, or both?

aaronsternke
audio school graduate

Post by aaronsternke » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:18 pm

Hey Electricide,
Cool thanks, that's a good observation. It's my voice on the recording, and my band. I produced and engineered and mixed the song myself... so it's really tough for me to be objective, ESPECIALLY about vocals. The mic on lead vocals was a Neumann TLM103, going through a Benchmark MicroFrame preamp. Possibly some sort of tube mic would sound better on my voice? Hm... good to think about. Thanks for the comments!

Aaron

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:27 am

Sounds good, man. I like how wide apart the cymbals are in the overheads. Maybe too much cymbal in the right, but that's a taste thing. What mic did you use for the vocal? The guitars sound sweet panned hard like that. The harmony vocals are mixed just right, too. Nice.

aaronsternke
audio school graduate

Post by aaronsternke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:49 pm

anyone else?? I value your input. Thanks!

Aaron

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:50 am

Sounds great. I love the organ and the guitar. really nice work. how long did you work on it?

personal tastes would beef up the bass guitar and the snare.

I agree, a tube would suit your voice well. you have a really sweet voice and maybe it just needs a little roughin up. what about swapping some of the high frequency around? rolling off some of the cymbals and adding some to the vocals?

will

aaronsternke
audio school graduate

Post by aaronsternke » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:41 pm

thanks, great input. My band REND THE HEAVENS worked on the song for just a few days. It was originally just released on an EP but then rereleased on our latest full-length album.

Speaking on the high frequencies, I can hear what you're talking about. The room we mixed in was REEEEALY screwed up, the low frequencies especially... but yeah I hear what you're hearing in the harshness of the cymbals.

Thanks again for your input. Where's my new TapeOp anyway? I'm having withdrawls.

Aaron

chazfilez
audio school graduate

Post by chazfilez » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:09 am

Nice, simple song with strong chorus and interesting bridge. I would like the vocals to be mixed without the reverb. Sounds kinda cheesy, but that's my input.
CD Broker - The independent Musician's choice for quality CD and DVD duplication

http://www.cdbroker.net