all girl band

alissa
pushin' record

all girl band

Post by alissa » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:55 am

so after the female engineer thread, i'm thinking the 'girl' thing might be good press around here :)

i'm scared though after you guys reamed zep4life.

anyway, it's not really a band. there's only 2 of us and we don't live in the same town. this is like a learning process demo. i'm sure there's a lot wrong with it. so maybe you can help me out with it.

oh yeah. and i already saw the emotidong...

www.scc.net/~abarthel/aug23.mp3 (i hope this works...first try)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: all girl band

Post by joeysimms » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:11 am

That was really nice. How was it recorded? Interesting and quirky. maybe a little more lead vocal, or mess with the eq a bit to bring it out. And turn up the background vocals?
beware bee wear

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:23 am

the orchestration is pretty durn cool. i like it.

i like how the vocal melody drifts in and out with the violin (?). and generally meanders around. fits well with the drifty drums and the pulsing guitar stuff. the drumming is very shaggs in the very best of ways.

very underwater sounding. swimming pooly.

as joey says, i would mess around with the eq on the lead vocal to tighten it up a bit. i would start by trying to pull out some lower mids. fights with the guitars.

oh and as far as the vocal performance, it might just be a pet peeve of mine, but i would tone down on the baby voice. it sounds a bit gwen steffani to me.

but, yea, overall the song/recording/performance is excellent.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:25 am

I really liked that too, but my thoughts were the opposite of Joey's: I like the parts where the lead vocals are further back. The song to me feels like you're showing us your secret little world, and with the lead vocals somewhat obscured it comes across as more mysterious, which I like.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:54 am

thanks you guys

it was a lot more painless than i was expecting. (esp after the emotidong incident :o )

anyway, i'm still figuring everything out. but i tracked the violin (yes it was a violin. it was sarah from carissa's wierd if anybody is into them) and an acoustic guitar track and bvox while she was here. and then i went back and added the drum, electric guitar, and lead vox later. i haven't done a lot with drums yet. so i kinda wish i had gotten more ride in there. so i might go back and add a couple rolls later with some fuzzy tipped sticks (for drama).

i sent this session to seattle a couple weeks ago. sarah was gonna add some tracks to it. but honestly, sending her sessions is like sending them into a black hole. she's not so much of an audio geek. if you know what i mean...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:58 am

it works though... which is the important part.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:49 pm

I like it. I would like to hear more volume work..like all sorts of swells that come up in the different tracks..more intensity in the BG vocals..im listening on crappy laptop speakers so..you know..the violin parts are great..i can hear the midwest accent in the singing..that coupled with the style of music..is creepy in a very good way..

Any plans for touring? You should come to NY!

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:13 pm

it's funny that you say that. about the midwest. because i'm actually not from here. i just kinda ended up here on accident after my friends moved all my stuff here. from seattle. i hung out in austin for a while too. and cali. among other places.

i don't know about the tour thing. i'm not really at that level. to be honest. i've never really even played out anywhere. a couple open mics maybe. like 6 years ago. i'm really more of a behind the scenes person. thanks though. i'll let you know if i find myself out there. where is easter island anyway?

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:31 pm

that was super nice.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:28 am

alissa wrote:it was sarah from carissa's wierd.

what? what? what? They were really cool...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:40 am

I agree with the mob, that sounds good, Alissa. I would push the lead vocs back a little further and sink them into the backing vocs--it's a good voice (yours?) but you could stand to play up the mysteriousness.

As the song goes--I found it a little long, though mostly just because the melodic and harmonic themes repeat themselves. Put in a bridge or a very strange solo, perhaps--evocative intro/extro stuff, something.

All in all this is way more interesting than your run of the mill amateur stuff (as an amateur, I know from experience!). It has a "sound." That's usually the hardest thing for musicians, songwriters, and engineers to achieve, in my opinion, and it's the thing that stands out in this song.

Rock on, all.
John.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:27 am

Good melodies and great vibe. The vocal could use a bit of tweaking as suggested, but I wouldn't screw around with this endlessly. Nice effort.

digdug
pushin' record

Post by digdug » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:28 am

Color me impressed, that was pretty freggin good. Would love to hear more. And welcome to Creot...

That'll be $35.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:44 pm

alissa wrote: where is easter island anyway?
it in the pacific ocean..pretty much in the middle of nothing..isolated..a true island..its more of a mental location than a phisical one in my use of it here..I used to live on a space station but i got off the moon rocks..

Yeah the vocals have a hint midwesterness..which I think is really cool considering the music that encompasses them..I would love to see a show of music like this and or hear an album..

some of my favorite all girl music :

Slumber Party
the Raincoats
the Vibration

check them out if you dont have some stuff already..

remember to have fun..

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:23 pm

sounds good, are those real strings? do you need a guitar player??
alissa wrote:so after the female engineer thread, i'm thinking the 'girl' thing might be good press around here :)

i'm scared though after you guys reamed zep4life.

anyway, it's not really a band. there's only 2 of us and we don't live in the same town. this is like a learning process demo. i'm sure there's a lot wrong with it. so maybe you can help me out with it.

oh yeah. and i already saw the emotidong...

www.scc.net/~abarthel/aug23.mp3 (i hope this works...first try)