Fahrenheit Nine Eleven

seeabove
pushin' record

Fahrenheit Nine Eleven

Post by seeabove » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:02 pm

I just got home from the movie theatre, and I must say the highlight of my week has been to see this movie sell out at the box office in my home town.

It's leftist, it's biased, it's not fair, and BY GOD I have to recommend this to everyone.

Hopefully, this movie will cause... *gasp* the voting rates in this country to *shock* actually INCREASE this year.

More on this once the movie sinks in.... I just have nowhere else to vent (the girlfriend is on vacation :)
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

seeabove
pushin' record

Re: Fahrenheit Nine Eleven

Post by seeabove » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:52 pm

Just checked out the other post and, Wing, yeah, this movie is by no means the truth. It gets the facts right (in most places), but do I think that Bush is solely responsible for this war in Iraq? Hell no. Clinton dropped the ball, let's not even start on Reagan, and there are huge forces at work here.

The movie begins with the 2000 election. I hope more than anything else, the FACT that Gore won the popular vote and lost the office (and then the resulting mess) will motivate people to vote this November. India recently held an election that turned its political party on its head and the ruling party was desposed. And voting rates actually dropped in this election... to 55%!

God, I wish 55% of this country voted. Wouldn't that inspire more confidence in our leaders - or at least give them a sense of who they are beholden to? Not the campaign contributors or PAC's, but instead the majority of America?
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:09 am

my friend said when wolfawitz was sucking on the comb, it looked like he was sucking a row of little boys wee wees. good times.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:00 pm

I saw it last night. Seeabove, I was pretty blown away too by how many people came to the theatre to see it. I was thinking, "there's something happening here ..." (cue the Buffalo Springfield song).

If it's not great journalism, then it is great film making. I've heard a lot of criticisms about the films claims, and well, exagerated, false ... whatever ... I don't give a damn, you only need to see the graphic images (wounded Iraqi civilians and U.S. soldiers) to be moved by the movie and convinced to be anti-war.

There's really only one seen that I'd call, "Michael Moore being Michael Moore," or ya know, up to his old tricks of whatever. The part where he's trying to get members of the Senate to sign their kids up for the military. Pretty smart ass confrontational. Everything else in the film is really heartfelt, and shows how shitty this administration is.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:19 am

seeabove wrote:Just checked out the other post and, Wing, yeah, this movie is by no means the truth. It gets the facts right (in most places), but do I think that Bush is solely responsible for this war in Iraq? Hell no. Clinton dropped the ball, let's not even start on Reagan, and there are huge forces at work here.
Huh? Dropped the ball in what way? Iraq was not a threat and we should have gone thru the U.N. procedures rather than dive in ourselves. There are plenty of despots out there - why choose Hussein? Why are we doing nothing about Africa right now, where hundreds of thousands have lost their lives??

Cuz they ain't got no oil, that's why.

As for Reagan - he armed everyone and their mother and lied about it while using proceeds from cocaine busts that were resold to finance it all. Yeah, he was a really great president.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:16 pm

bombastique wrote:As for Reagan - he armed everyone and their mother
No, they armed themselves. He gave them the right.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:24 pm

What planet R U on? We trained these fools at the School of the Americas, AND gave them the weapons.. "They armed themselves" - get real.
beware bee wear

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:25 pm

These guys know how to arm themselves...HAHA.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:02 pm

Hubba hubba hubba, who do ya love?
I'm probably one of the more leftist guys in the Navy you'll meet. The talks about this movie have escalated into almost brawls in my office. It's fun to watch how cinematic influence is causing dissention in my office. Only 4 more months and I won't be able to provoke my superiors anymore. So sad, not really though.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

saasquatch
pluggin' in mics

Post by saasquatch » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:50 pm

Just got back from seeing it.......damn. So inspiring to see someone make a complete disgrace of the current adminstration. Bush makes Fidel Castro look like an honest man, and I'm Cuban.

I must say the best part was the audio from inside the WTC while black was on the screen, hearing those jet engines get closer and closer and then bammm, chaos.
When you pirate mp3s, your downloading Communism!

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:13 pm

I must say the best part was the audio from inside the WTC while black was on the screen, hearing those jet engines get closer and closer and then bammm, chaos.
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah that's great , I'm sure the thousands in the WTC and their families thought it was TOTALLY AWESOME too.

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:22 pm

"There's really only one seen that I'd call, "Michael Moore being Michael Moore," or ya know, up to his old tricks of whatever. The part where he's trying to get members of the Senate to sign their kids up for the military. Pretty smart ass confrontational"

What is wrong with being a SMART ASS and CONFRONTATIONAL? Really I don't get this criticism of Michael Moore. Jsut take a look a the kind of people he is a smart ass and confrontational with. I am glad somome has the balls to do it!

and lets not let this thread take an ugly turn onto the topic of Michael Moore's balls. Thanks.

saasquatch
pluggin' in mics

Post by saasquatch » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:51 am

[Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah that's great , I'm sure the thousands in the WTC and their families thought it was TOTALLY AWESOME too.]

I meant for the first time you just heard it, not seeing the images. I didn't think it was awesome at all being I lost three colleages, but I guess your just naturally funny.[/quote]
When you pirate mp3s, your downloading Communism!

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:22 am

MusicMan wrote:
"There's really only one seen that I'd call, "Michael Moore being Michael Moore," or ya know, up to his old tricks of whatever. The part where he's trying to get members of the Senate to sign their kids up for the military. Pretty smart ass confrontational"

What is wrong with being a SMART ASS and CONFRONTATIONAL? Really I don't get this criticism of Michael Moore. Jsut take a look a the kind of people he is a smart ass and confrontational with. I am glad somome has the balls to do it!

and lets not let this thread take an ugly turn onto the topic of Michael Moore's balls. Thanks.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I consider myself a Michael Moore fan. It's just that he's been criticized a bit on this board. I was just saying where his earlier movies (and the Awful Truth) were more like prank type stuff - with like him getting kicked out of corporate offices and things, this movie was a lot more serious. I think he kind of owed that to the subject matter. If he woulda made a more sarcastic movie, he would've been written off as another Bush hater. But now here his is, winning the Pom d'our or whatever that is, and setting box office records (not that I'm saying the controversy didn't have anything to do with that).

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:13 am

MusicMan wrote:

I guess the criticism I have of the stunts is that they're kind of unfair; I mean, Moore totally has the upper hand in most of these things, stopping people in the street with a camera crew and all; I guess it just seems like instead of trying to get to the truth, he's trying to embarrass people or something. They also seem very sarcastic and cynical, and while there's nothing inherrently wrong about being sarcastic or cynical, it's not very good at changing people's opinions, it's usually reserved for those already on your side.

I think Moore showed that he's got balls by making this film, and not making it as snide and smarmy as his past works; sarcasm is easy to hide behind, but actually making an argument about a serious topic is much more risky.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?