Books? What are you reading?

helstab
george martin

Re: Books? What are you reading?

Post by helstab » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:08 am

john cusask fans?

I don't really get into books that have anything to do with me or what I like. I like sci-fi or thrillers.. and some carl sagan type books. but I don't know if I have ever read a book about someone my age doing things I do.

Battle field earth. Anyone read this. and please don't even bother comenting on the movie.

-Matt
-Matthew Macchio$tab

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:33 am

I dig Cusack. It seems like a lot of people give him flack for "always playing the same role," but if you look at his entire body of work he's done some really interesting films. Some of my favorites are: The Grifters, High Fidelity, and Max. Cusack, in Max, plays a (Jewish) art dealer trying to get Hitler's art career off the ground when Hitler was just Private Hitler and not HITLER. Very interesting.

Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil is also a really good flick. I'm still kind of weirded out that Clint Eastwood directed that as I always think of him as Dirty Harry.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:24 pm

the_spoil wrote:I dig Cusack. It seems like a lot of people give him flack for "always playing the same role," but if you look at his entire body of work he's done some really interesting films. Some of my favorites are: The Grifters, High Fidelity, and Max. Cusack, in Max, plays a (Jewish) art dealer trying to get Hitler's art career off the ground when Hitler was just Private Hitler and not HITLER. Very interesting.

Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil is also a really good flick. I'm still kind of weirded out that Clint Eastwood directed that as I always think of him as Dirty Harry.

-Giahni
And a one armed Cusack says to hitler "come on hitler ill buy you some lemonade"..Max has some beautiful photography as well..loved it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:30 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:I just finished Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart". I'd definitely recommend it.
i did not like that one so much..what did you like about it?

I just like the economical use of language. It was not too flowery, but still had a lot of good imagery.
yes i liked that too..thier poetry transends singular language because of the colonizations..simple yet complex..like good music..i just did not like the story itself though..did not do much for me..but very well done technically. Okonkwo walked on the balls of his feet..

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:39 pm

[quote="SKY_AT_NO_NOON]yes i liked that too..thier poetry transends singular language because of the colonizations..simple yet complex..like good music..i just did not like the story itself though..did not do much for me..but very well done technically. Okonkwo walked on the balls of his feet..[/quote]

Yeah, the plot kind of breaks down about halfway through. It really didn't bother me too much though. I hate reading something where every last detail has to serve the plot. It's kind of like taking a trip somewhere and never looking out the window.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:43 pm

I just got done with "And the Ass Saw the Angel" by Nick Cave. Damn.. not only does the guy write some fucking depressing fucked up music, this book is amazing. Not a happy story, but really really good read. I recommend.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:41 pm

They're making that empty storefront into condos.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:44 pm

dwlb wrote:They're making that empty storefront into condos.
Ugh...that's what I get for not having been over there in a few years.

I guess condos must solve all sorts of problems because everywhere I go in Chicago I am surrounded by new developments.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:45 pm

Crash. Ballard is kind of hit or miss for me, but I like they way he's written this one. Mind you, I haven't finished it yet. Haven't seen the movie, either. Screw that.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:51 pm

Anyone read Robert Mckees' Story?
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:23 am

Hyperspace by Michio Kaku

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:06 pm

A.L. wrote:Crash. Ballard is kind of hit or miss for me, but I like they way he's written this one. Mind you, I haven't finished it yet. Haven't seen the movie, either. Screw that.
The movie was ok but nothing like the book. Actually, the movie was a waste of time. Crash was a great book. Te-wist-ed.

I think Nick Hornby writes some good books. I was surprised at how good the movie hit the mark considering they moved it from the UK to the US, which is a pretty big shift.

I have been reading Sherman Alexie stuff, Ten Little Indians just came out, it's a book of 9 short stories. He is a great writer. I finished "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven." That was made into the movie "Smoke Signals" Once again, not much like the actual book, but a good movie.

Also reading the new Harry Potter book while I eat breakfast in the morning.

Just finished reading a bunch of Phil Dick novels, there are so many of them and they read so fast that I forget their names. Highly paranoid conspiracy theory-type stuff. Great for this day and age. Just don't read too much of it. You might end up licking the walls and howling at the lightbulb.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:56 pm

I've been reading "The Life of Pi" and it is a truly enlightening book. I won't go into the storyline because it is too complex and deep to detail, but it beautifully blends the scientific with the spiritual. And the language is truly captivating.

Speaking of Fear and Loathing in LV, did it make anyone else want to eat copious amounts of drugs and spaz out? Just me?