Those who actually think Bush is a good president..

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Re: Those who actually think Bush is a good president..

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:21 pm

i have a hard time capping on carter, he's the only president that i can think of that cared enough about society to actually try to work for it *after* his presidency. i don't think you'll see bush building homes for the poor after he's done being cheney's little figurehead.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:22 pm

Lincoln was quite a president. He may have been the only one besides Bush to suspend Habeas Corpus, but he also ultimately did not give in to the demands of a SLAVE-OWNING society.

Jefferson was a great President. and Teddy Roosevelt who made American power the dominant one. Wilson envisioned a world-government which has proven useful. James Madison was an amazingly gifted statesman, the father of our Constitution you might say...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:30 pm

Polk
polk? man, that guy was a war-monger. he played the manifest destiny card all the way. because of him, mexico lost 2/3 of its territory!

as for andrew jackson, i definitely find his treatment of native americans deplorable, and his undermining of the supreme court a little, um, un-democratic. i suppose he is known for "bringing democracy to the common man," however.

the cool thing about johnson is that after his presidency, he grew out his hair and started smoking tons of pot. apparently he became extremely conflicted over the mess he made in vietnam and kinda turned into a hippie.

jeff

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:52 pm

I included Polk and Jackson because of the way they strengthened the presidency. Obviously, Jackson treatment of Indians was deplorable. Polk, on the other hand, stole that land fair and square - through war. :lol: I guess he could have waited for the French to capture it and then buy it off of them (as Jefferson did), but what's the difference? I also like the fact that despite being a very popular President, Polk didn't run for a second term.

I didn't include Madison, because, while brilliant, he wasn't that great of a President. He did write the Constitution, for cryiong out loud, but just not in office.

Another great guy who wasn't a great President was John Q. Adams. Like Carter, he really became a crusader after he left office. He went back to the legislature and fought hard against slavery.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:42 pm

Bush...well, in terms of being the puppet he's doing a better job than most.
Although not as easy to mock as Regan, he's got some funny words and facial expressions.

I think people (on that media faced acting level) tend to think he's warmer and more likeable than most Republicans. I mean, he's kinda of the new face of the Republican image reinvention thats going on. In that way he's certainly more succesful. Was'ent he toted as the compassionant republican?
boobs are life's fountain

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:32 pm

If Bush is considered 'compassionate', then I think an awful lot of people don't know the meaning of the word.

So - no one here has any good reason that Bush should be supported in any way, shape or form?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Rec Head
studio intern

Post by Rec Head » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:32 pm

I think Regan really helped out with punk and hardcore in the early days. There was just so much to be pissed about.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:49 pm

I think Regan really helped out with punk and hardcore in the early days. There was just so much to be pissed about.
true that. i was kinda hoping the current administration might re-ignite some of that fury among today's bands, but haven't seen too much of that yet. there's just as much to be pissed off about today, if not more, but alas, we live in a different era musically. makes me wanna pull out my old dead kennedies records.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:35 pm

This was an actual obituary published in The Times-Picayune, New Orleans on 10/2/2003.

Word has been received that Gertrude M. Jones, 81, passed away on August 25, 2003, under the loving care of the nursing aides of Heritage Manor of Mandeville, Louisiana. She was a native of Lebanon, KY. She was a retired Vice President of Georgia International Life Insurance Company of Atlanta, GA. Her husband, Warren K. Jones predeceased her. Two daughters survive her: Dawn Hunt and her live-in boyfriend, Roland, of Mandeville,LA; and Melba Kovalak and her husband, Drew Kovalak, of Woodbury, MN. Three sisters, four grandchildren and three great grandchildren, also survive her. Funeral services were held in Louisville, KY.

Memorial gifts may be made to any organization that seeks the removal of President George Bush from office.
boobs are life's fountain

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:56 pm

This is really an argument on the same lines as boxers and breifs.

For the record, The best president in the history of presidents would:

End the drug prohibition.... he would levy taxes on their sale... use the savings from not fighting the drug war and the additional tax revenue to reduce the taxes of ALL CITIZENS AT AN EQUAL RATE. While I'm on the subject... he will push for a FLAT TAX. That is the only fair system of taxation.... ) anyways, he believes abortion is a terrible thing to do to yourself... but fights to the death to ensure it remains legal. He feels that PROPERTY rights are the key to a free society. He funds the arts... he preserves history both of HUMANS and the ENVIROMENT. This great president moves us from dependence on OIL and converts us to alternative sources. His absolute belief in the "SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK" mentality means he does fund the military as a high priority... focusing on NATIONAL SECURITY first. Our fearless hero passes STRICT immigration laws... he WANTS immigrants... he does not want ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. Our man is brave enough to admit that there is natural law that says: HOW MUCH YOU HAVE IS HOW MUCH YOU NEED. This means he overhauls the welfare system... requiring all receiving benefits to work in SOME capacity for the country in programs like daycare... stamp licking... ditch digging... whatever. Regarding religion... he fights to the death for the freedom of all citizens to believe what they want. Our president would regard the bill of rights to be a sacred document that is NOT open to interpretation. He believes the power of this document is TOO great to be handed to politicians.
Lastly, our president works tirelessly to bring us together. He soothes the hysterical anti-business folk, the far right religious dudes, the poor, the rich, the in betweens. He reminds us that we are ALL better off being TOGETHER than apart. He is constantly inpiring us to belive in the future, and in each other.

Find me this guy and I will vote for him... until then I can only vote for the lesser of two evils. I always error on the side of personal freedom... less is more ESPECIALLY when you are talking about GOVERNMENT!

Martin

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:32 pm

Bush, on the other hand, seems to be trying to do his best to undermine everything good about the U.S. - he's even reviving nuclear arms testing. I mean - what kind of craziness is THAT? Especially when he's saying to everyone else that they CAN'T have nuclear weapons.
He's doing a GREAT job for those who support, coach, mentor, coddle, and trust him.

Tom

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:57 am

Hear, hear Martin!

If only there were such a person.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm voting for Howard Dean. This guy seems to be on the right track. He's got a great record in Vermont and definitely knows how to bring people together. Unfortunately alot of the news coverage for him is just scratching the surface - almost like they're afraid of telling what's really going on.

A while ago we had a Dean meeting where everyone hand wrote letters to people in Iowa to try to convince them that Dean was their man. Well - not so much to convince them, but more to just write out why we support him, in the hopes that someone else will see the possibilities. If he can do for the white house what he did for Vermont, I think it's a BIG step in the right direction...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Post by graveleye » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:59 am

I like Bush. I trust him much more than those other nine guys. They seem very whiney, angry and bitter to me. They call people names too much. The left in general seems very emotionally hateful and judgmental to me. They want the job too much. They want to take more of my money. They hate the rich (unless of course you're rich like Barbra Streisand, or some other hollywood lefty). I dunno.. I have never worked for a poor person before, but I bet the benefits arent as good as my rich boss provides. And besides, why should I want to punish high achieving "evil" rich people. I want to be rich too.
As far as Iraq and Afghanistan, he did the right thing, and I stand by that. I get a lttle leary of the Patriot act, but remember its Bill and Hillary that have also tried shit like the national ID card etc...all those friggin polititians would like to drag us into the arms of Big Brother. Thats not a right-wing exclusive.

Bush has my vote but if he continues to spend like a liberal, and pander to the left, I will look for another person to vote for.
If only the Libertarians had a chance....
talk talk its only talk

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:33 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... ge=printer

Sensible fiscal policy. Isn't there another name for Rich? Oh yeah...Dick!!!
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:48 am

jeez govt spending increasing more now than any time since...

reagan?

funny how people that believe in small government and local control actually vote for republicans?

again, i think conservatives and libertarians should take a close look at the recent crop of green candidates, like camejo and gonzalez, both of which seriously oppose spending money that govt doesnt have.

they may find that they have a heck of a lot more in common with greens than they do with republicans.