Most unusual place for a gig

dougo
pushin' record

Most unusual place for a gig

Post by dougo » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:18 pm

I just had to spout about this band in our area (Wallys World) no lie. They would have a full drum set, bass rig, full stack and screaming 80's style vocalist right on the sidewalk in front of our local liqour store. What was a gas was the liqour store was on Highway 1 in CA. Yep, Pacific Coast Highway. Middle of tourist season and blasting out vintage metal to the masses touring San Diego County and the local folk heading home from work. Nothing but smiles. Those guys got some balls. The best part was you could go in get a six pack and pick up the bands CD!

Imagine the possiblities of aging metal girls in their white scuffed up pumps lifting their tops and sipping Southern Comfort right on your homtown sidewalk.
I think I'm gonna cry...

Long live ROCK!!!
Cheers,
dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

jca83
carpal tunnel

Re: Most unusual place for a gig

Post by jca83 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:21 pm

once i read in our city's weekly event guide that a band was playing a free show in the B concourse of the nashville international airport. i was considering buying a plane ticket just to see this weirdness.
that devil bastard protools

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:35 pm

I'd have to say a stripclub. The stimulation, politics, fun, and fright are phenomenal.

Last week I saw a full-on indie-ish band in front of local health food store. Sounded pretty good.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:09 pm

jca83 wrote:once i read in our city's weekly event guide that a band was playing a free show in the B concourse of the nashville international airport. i was considering buying a plane ticket just to see this weirdness.
They used to have jazz trios at the airport in Charlotte four days a week and it was possibly the most lucrative gig in town. On top of the halfway decent paycheck, you made TONS in tips and sold LOTS of CDs. Once 9-11 happened, security made it WAY difficult to load in and not as many people hung out in the terminal to wait for loved ones to arrive etc, so it ended. Shame.

I played a Federal prison once in South Florida.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:34 pm

My bandmates and I were deep-sea fishing and wouldn't ya know it, the boat went down. Everything was destroyed. As we were floundering in the water, we grabbed our instruments and held on.

Well, to make a long story short, we played a wet and wild gig in the belly of a whale.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:34 pm

an early band of mine put on a free show in a public park. We had one tiny 4 inch battery powered amp and a small mattery powered mixer to run the guitar, bass, and vox through. Drums were on their own, with no stool (snare and hihat only). We rocked. We made flyers and passed them around town abut 10 minutes before the gig. We had a pit and everything. the band we asked to play with us went second. The drummer needed a seat so she smashed a trashcan into shape.

Then the cops came and asked us to leave. Luckly we were already done.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Well, I've played on the lanes of a bowling alley. The acoustics were terrible. I've also played on the deck of a boat in the middle of a downpour, which was not so much unusual as terrifying.

Haven't played a stripclub, but I did play a bachelor party once where the strippers decided to come up and try their best to make the band mess up. That was fun.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:05 pm

Belle & Sebastian played libraries. The only band that could, really. The Free Design could too.

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:13 pm

Now that we have some unusual gigs. Perhaps someone can up the ante and put on a impromptu show this weekend. The gig is who can play a show this weekend with just hours notice and post pics and sound on this thread? I've got a 1 year olds birthday party tomorrow, perhaps that might rock!? Enjoy your search for the next gig.

Good luck,
dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:08 pm

Have you seen the movie Friends Forever? It's about a band called, well, Friends Forever, and they play all of their shows inside their van. It's one guy playing bass and another guy playing drums, and they'll just pull into a town and find a good place to park, set up their generator and have at it. They have all of these strobe lights and a fog machine in their van. It's pretty hilarious.

The strangest place I ever played that I can think of off the top of my head was a house show at a goat farm in Ohio. It was pretty awesome. They raised all of these goats there, and we played with some awesome bands.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

thenumber
steve albini likes it

Post by thenumber » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:44 am

my very first bands very first show was at a mormon church. long story short, im forever banned from the mormon church. I BROUGHT THE ROCK

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:31 am

I played a show in a treehouse of somebodys backyard that we didn't even know or ask for permission to..and they were home..and like 50 people came to thier yard..after two songs they called the cops and we all got tickets and had to go to court..you should have seen it..

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:33 am

We got busted once setting up to play on the roof of a building at UT Dallas. It was in the middle of night and the cops weren't into it. Maybe cos the trumpet player sucked.

This month KVRX is organizing a hip hop show at a bowling alley. The alley is huge, like 52 lanes, with black lights and lasers and shit. In the middle of it will be a soundsystem, rappers, and breakdancing. Did I mention the LASERS?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

fear of texas
gettin' sounds

Post by fear of texas » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:08 am

evan wrote:Belle & Sebastian played libraries. The only band that could, really. The Free Design could too.
then you have not witnessed the mighty Edu-Core of Seattle's Bloodhag. They have done tours of nothing but libraries. Speed Metal about sci-fi authors, all while hurling paperbacks into the crowd. Bloodhag: The Faster You Go Deaf The More Time You Have To Read.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:54 am

fear of texas wrote:then you have not witnessed the mighty Edu-Core of Seattle's Bloodhag. They have done tours of nothing but libraries. Speed Metal about sci-fi authors, all while hurling paperbacks into the crowd. Bloodhag: The Faster You Go Deaf The More Time You Have To Read.
I was mostly thinking that they were the only bands that were fluffy-light enough that you could actually still read a book while they're playing. But I'd definitely visit the library more often if they had sci-fi speed metal.