chest pain from bones...??

wing
on a wing and a prayer

chest pain from bones...??

Post by wing » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:55 am

Sometimes, I get this random chest pain that I can tell is not caused by anything chemical or by the organs inside me, but rather the bones in my chest crushing inward or something. I don't know, it feels like my heart is basically being crushed by my ribs, and depending on which way i move it can hurt more (ie: the way i stretch, or sit, sometimes i can feel fine, but if i turn a little too much the wrong way, it can hurt like crazy, like my heart is being suffocated.)

it has gotten me concerned lately... does anyone know about this? Swingdoc? anyone?

I saw this on webmd, but i'm not certain if it is the problem: http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_ato ... ar=hw85856

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Re: chest pain from bones...??

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:02 am

That happened to me a lot after I went to Woodstock 99. Have you been crushed lately???
it sounds like an injury more than anything.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:49 am

i had this too when i was around your age. i was really really paranoid about it and actually asked a doctor. the doctor just kinda shrugged and told me "growing pains." it went away after awhile.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:52 am

this sounds like pleurisy to me. millions upon millions of people run into this from time to time.

i used to have problems with pleurisy every now and then, but it has reduced a ton since i quit smoking almost 2 years ago.

it's a sharp pain and reacts to your breathing and it's fleeting. it doesn't stick around too long at one time.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:12 pm

Yeah, I get that.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:50 pm

andrew embassy wrote:Yeah, I get that.
Ditto. Feels like a big gas cramp bubble thingy.
beware bee wear

distorTED
alignin' 24-trk

Post by distorTED » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:31 pm

I have had such pains. Once, a friend took me the emergency room, because i was avoiding breathing to ease the pain. I was told that it was muscular. A muscle relaxer did the trick.

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:13 pm

email internet medicine is just a bad idea.
Without a good history, exam or tests, everything is just a guess.

(But, look up "costochondritis" and see if this fits your story.)

If you have access to a doc, its a good idea to see one if you're having chest pains. If you dont, its still a good idea to see a doc.
The possibilities are multiple, and several have potentially serious ramifications.

Sorry, but thats my final answer.....ie see a doc.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:31 pm

I get a similar problem occasionally - CRUSHING pain - Feels like my entire ribcage is collapsing.

In my case, it turned out to be (and continues to be) a pinched nerve in my spine.

Weird what those things can do...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:27 pm

Okay,

I've been getting these since high school. In high school it was growing pains they said (a friend of mine said her dr told her it was caffiene related).

I got them more frequently when I started smoking at 25 for about 8 years. I quit 3 or so years ago.

Got bad last year to the point where I went to the Dr and had every test imaginable done.

Stress.

My doctor told me that often times finding out that a certain symptom is caused by stress will actually reduce or eliminate it. That's exactly what happened. I rarely get it any more.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:40 pm

i think it's chlamydia.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:40 pm

you're sure it's not a panic attack right?

I've had those and it's sort of similar. Accept you're convinced that you're going to die.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:55 pm

I've had the same thing. One night it felt like a knife being plunged into my chest. I fell out of my chair and thought I was having a heart attack... at the ripe age of 24. I also have problems with pain in the side of my ribcage. My doctor thought it was odd that I had it more in teh side than right in front. You shoudl still go to a Dr. to make sure that it's nothing more but very likely that may be what it is.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:33 pm

It's probably not the same thing, but I occasionally get these gas bubbles that make me think my heart is gonna stop or something. Sometimes there's sharp pain involved. It got really bad early this past summer. It started freaking me out and I even came close to passing out a couple of times.

I got pretty close to seeing a doctor, but first I cut back on caffeine and smokes, and started eating a little healthier, just to see what would happen. It got a little better. I also realized that it was only happening after meals.

It was just weird gas, man, but the sensation it was creating was freaking me out, and me freaking out was only making it worse. I was having gas induced panic attacks, basically. Once I realized that, it got much better. I still get the gas occasionally, but it doesn't freak me out now, and so it passes quick.

firgela
pushin' record

Post by firgela » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:41 pm

both of you Joe and Johnathan see a doctor pronto!

I was getting these very same things about two years ago and almost passed out on one occasion, and same as you thought it was gas related. My friend Larry called it the Devil's Grip which is funny but it felt like a big hand was squeezing the shit out of my left lung and didn't feel very funny.
without going into boring detail I had heart surgery last March to repair a shunt as they call it (a hole), I noticed when I started getting these Devil's Grips I also started gaining weight but didn't connect it at the time cause it was the holidays yadda yadda...I got about 15 lbs over my usual weight so after my surgery I am back to my normal weight. I can't help but think now that this was the begining for me and my body was starting to retain water/fluids which happens when your heart starts to fail.

I'm not trying to freak you out any more or saying this is what you have just relating my experience. It could be any number of things but MUST NOT go unchecked, get your doctor aka sherlock on the case! Listen to Swingdoc, self diagnosis via internet sources are a mistake. Including this messageboard.
"You can be a king or a street sweeper but everyone dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris