Books? What are you reading?

helstab
george martin

Books? What are you reading?

Post by helstab » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:51 am

Right now I'm readying

Kim Stanley Robinson's
The Year of Rice and Salt.

Black death. History teaches us that a third of Europe's population was destroyed. What if the plague had killed 99% of the population instead? How would the world have changed? A look at the history that could have been through the eyes of soldiers, kings, explorers, and philosophers, slaves, and scholars. Islam and Buddhism are the most influential and practiced religions, while Christianity is merely a historical footnote.

The book follows a couple characters over a span of 700 years. Theses characters cosmic paths are bound and they meet each other in bardo(pergatory)in death. And follow each other in each life. they don't remember their previous lives, but the characters share similar traits and the first letter of their name stays the same. Its pretty weird.

Its starts off with a slave and a Mongol soldier. They die and become Indian women. Die and one becomes a tiger and the other a guy that lives by the tiger. In each life they play an important role to each other. CRAZY book.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Re: Books? What are you reading?

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:49 am

wow, that sounds like a cool book.

i'm trudging through T.E. lawrence's 'seven pillars of wisdom.' great reading but at page 469, it's starting to wear on me.

but i took a break from that last night to re-read parts of zappa's book. highly highly reccomended.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:02 am

yeah the only problem with this book is just when you get to know a character... BOOM he/she is dead... 100 years later they are back as someone else. I love it when I read it but its hard to pick up after putting it down.

This author wrote the Mars triology. which is AMAZING. I cant explain how good this trilogy is. If you ever though about the colonization of mars and the fate of earth this is the book. It is SOO good its scary. This guy is just too smart.

Red Mars
Green Mars
Blue Mars

SO SO SO good. There is nothing better when it comes to the idea of colonization. Check it out NOW!
-Matthew Macchio$tab

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:45 am

I'm reading "Flowers in the Dustbin: the Rise of Rock and Roll 1947-1977" by James Miller. Pretty good basic history book.

I've read "The Beatles' Recording Sessions" and "The Beatles' Gear" books a bunch lately.

I'm also still worming my way through "A History of God," by Karen Armstrong, which is a discussion of various views of God as they developed through the history of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. That's one that I have to put down for a few days pretty regularly--mostly because I've been working so much lately I haven't got the brain space for theological history by the time I have time to read.

I also have a book of Ibsen stuff that sits on my nightstand waiting for me to get around to it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:19 am

Yeah, I read "History of God". Jesus! (No pun intended). I felt like my brain was going to tell me to fuck off the whole time I was reading that. Like in protest. Karen Armstrong must be a genius.

Right now I'm reading "Nausea" by Jean-Paul Sartre. It's not bad. I just finished "Henderson the Rain King" by Saul Bellow. That book was great; made me laugh.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:24 am

I just finished "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. THAT is a crazy ass book. It blew my hair back. I highly recommend this book.

Shawn

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:06 pm

I just finished Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart". I'd definitely recommend it.

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:18 pm

Wow Helstab, thanks for the info. Those books sound like really great reads.

I'm working on Alistair Reynolds' "Redemption Ark" and Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation". I like to read the heavy non-fiction, but I have to ease it up with the heavy Sci-Fi.

Next up: "One Market Under God"
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:10 pm

books? what are those?

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:36 am

Books are... I was going to explain, but it was way too complicated. And I'm drunk.

BTW, rock n' roll trivia on Howard Stern with Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf was amazing. Isn't he like dead?

I mean, this guy was smoking two bottles of vodka and killing the producer.
Last edited by DUC on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:47 am

marqueemoon wrote:I just finished Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart". I'd definitely recommend it.
i did not like that one so much..what did you like about it?

i like Gilgamesh the Summerian poem, i like the new andrew george translation..penguin..O Shamash, turn your face to the Supplicant!

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:31 am

Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough. 700 freakin' pages!

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:09 am

I'm knee deep in Hunter S. Thompsons: Fear and Loathing in America. This book requires true grit, and I am chock full of that man! And before that I read Nick Hornsby's(?) High Fidelity (good f'n book!).
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:55 am

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:I just finished Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart". I'd definitely recommend it.
i did not like that one so much..what did you like about it?

i like Gilgamesh the Summerian poem, i like the new andrew george translation..penguin..O Shamash, turn your face to the Supplicant!
I just like the economical use of language. It was not too flowery, but still had a lot of good imagery.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:03 am

Monkeyfist wrote:I'm knee deep in Hunter S. Thompsons: Fear and Loathing in America. This book requires true grit, and I am chock full of that man! And before that I read Nick Hornsby's(?) High Fidelity (good f'n book!).
Yes, Yes...High Fidelity is a very enjoyable read. Incidentally, the location of the store in the movie of same name is an empty storefront, BUT....the store mentioned by Dick ("I found such and such limited edition japanese import only over at Vintage Vinyl this weekend..") is a real store. I had to go check it out and, no big shocker here, it's filled with 90% old old vinyl and a few CDs such as $50-$100 Radiohead and Weezer bootlegs.

Yesterday I started reading one of Al Franken's books as well as John Berendt's Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil.
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios