Pro-Tools Certification - Is it worth it?

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Pro-Tools Certification - Is it worth it?

Post by graveleye » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:52 am

heeeeeere we go....

Just fishing around and ran across this "pro-tools school":
http://www.protoolstraining.com

Has anyone taken these courses from this school? I am sure it is quite expensive, and would like some testimonials from some more people before even considering it for myself or anyone else. If it is really legitimate I am sure there would be a lot to learn, but like a college degree, that sheepskin is the ultimate prize.....

What do some of you expert PT pundits think about these schools - be honest
Kev
talk talk its only talk

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Re: Pro-Tools Certification - Is it worth it?

Post by TooLoFi » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:48 pm

It's a school being run by a busness. not only will you have to pay for a credential, you'll also have to buy their product to apply your newfound knowledge.

In my area (SF) there are many community and state-level colleges that are certificate-style schools. There are also other private-specialized schools that would be much cheaper than digidesign's school.
going one way down a wrong way street

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Post by graveleye » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:26 am

TooLoFi wrote:It's a school being run by a busness. not only will you have to pay for a credential, you'll also have to buy their product to apply your newfound knowledge.

In my area (SF) there are many community and state-level colleges that are certificate-style schools. There are also other private-specialized schools that would be much cheaper than digidesign's school.
Gotchya... I am already working with the system so its not so much a need for the knowledge as it is a need for the certification that I was interested in. Kinda like college :lol:
I posed this to some friends over at the DUC and not a soul was to keen on the idea. Sounds like a lot of money for not a lot of benefit.
talk talk its only talk

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:27 pm

From my experience, no certification or degree of any kind will land you a job in this industry. What will land you a job is experience, connections and a portfolio of past projects.

The thing about protools is that it is a very intuitive program. It is not complex like Logic. If you read the manual and experiment with it, you will learn all you need to know. It sounds like digidesign is looking for new members.

Save your money to buy better mics, whatever, and use the time you have to learn the program. Obviously, this is a good site to ask questions whenever you are stuck or need help.

Good luck.

TJ
audio school

Post by TJ » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:20 pm

SpaceCadet wrote:From my experience, no certification or degree of any kind will land you a job in this industry. What will land you a job is experience, connections and a portfolio of past projects.

The thing about protools is that it is a very intuitive program. It is not complex like Logic. If you read the manual and experiment with it, you will learn all you need to know. It sounds like digidesign is looking for new members.

Save your money to buy better mics, whatever, and use the time you have to learn the program. Obviously, this is a good site to ask questions whenever you are stuck or need help.

Good luck.
I agree!

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:43 pm

SpaceCadet wrote:From my experience, no certification or degree of any kind will land you a job in this industry. What will land you a job is experience, connections and a portfolio of past projects.
Enrolling in a university or a certificate program WILL get you that practical experience, connections, as well as a nice portfolio by the time you graduate. My resume and demo would be nothing if I hadn't gone to school and got my B.A. I had the ability to have access to a production environment 7 days a week 9am-10pm as well as a full teaching staff of industry pros. I worked with clients like local news stations and organizations like the Grammy in the Schools program (to name two).

Yes, you can seek an internship at a studio and act like a fly on the wall and watch, but you're not going to get that much practical experience because they are there as a business and need to finish a job. Unless they know you, they're probably not going to cater to your education while you're there. Whereas, if you went to school, you have professors and facilities that are there strictly there for your education. Sure, I spent about $10,000 on housing and tuition, but I think it was well worth it.

As for pro tools certification, I say don't make it your number 1 priority. I'd rather you spend your time learning large format consoles or how to manipulate audio. Anyone can run a workstation, but not everyone can signal route an SSL or a neve (or even a whole studio). Download pro tools free or get a cheap mBox and have a field day with it. Then put that on your resume, that you're pro tools experienced. Maybe get the certification if there's no money involved.

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:52 pm

hey gravleEYE..what galaxy are you from??? Do you know SKY?

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Post by graveleye » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:22 pm

ahmedgarcia wrote:hey gravleEYE..what galaxy are you from??? Do you know SKY?
I am from the Milky Way. I knew a gal named "Skye" once, but I stuck a dollar in her garter and got to see about another 30 seconds of her and the show was over......the girl of my dreams, and I never saw her again.

Oh guys, no... i got the whole nine yards with my daw. I have been engineering for 15 years but only got my ProTools rig about 2 years ago. I honestly love it, but still have a special affinity for tape and the good old days... but editing is a dream though with it.

I am pretty darn good at ProTools - I mean there is always something more to learn, but I caught onto it pretty quick and know my way around the system pretty well. Its a TOOL, and pretty good at that, so respectfully, though I am a noob to this board, I am not a total noob. :D
I was just wondering, because this PT "school" is putting a hard sell on me, and I thought to myself, might be fun, but is it worth it just to get a t-shirt and something to hang on the wall to say I took the "official" course. Its about MONEY. If that class will get me more jobs and make me more money, then I am all for it. Thats why I posed the question and so far I am with everyone else in a resounding "no!" I am not going to even bother.
My talent should and does suffice.... but you know how it goes. I might be just as good of a writer as the editor for your local fishwrapper, but he got the degree in journalism, and the job. That is sort of my train of thought when I brought this up...
Thanks for all the replies though.
talk talk its only talk