Those who actually think Bush is a good president..

kcrusher
tinnitus

Those who actually think Bush is a good president..

Post by kcrusher » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:35 pm

Ok, help me here - why, exactly, do you like Bush?

swingdoc
tinnitus

Re: Those who actually think Bush is a good president..

Post by swingdoc » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:20 pm

because its......um....better than my hand....?

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:15 am

Because he captured Osama, captured Sadam, and found the weapons of mass destruction. Sarcasm :shake:

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:18 am

And because that six dollar tax break I'm getting this year is going to be awesome.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:54 am

First, who WAS a good president to you?? Any examples of one???

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:07 am

not in my lifetime! although Carter was relatively innocuous (but i was 6 years old when he lost to Reagan, so can't say I was profoundly impacted by him at the time). and there's Clinton, who at least seemed to care about social issues like keeping abortion legal and the environment, but was still evil as fuck for continually bombing the snots out of iraq (at least he didn't make a big show of it by invading them like Bush, but still...) and for NAFTA, among other things.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:26 am

Hmm, I would have to agree with concubine. I can't say there was anyone that I could really say - THAT was a great president, but at least Carter and Clinton did SOME good (Carters heart was in the right place, but he tried to play fair when no one else was and got beat for his efforts).

Bush, on the other hand, seems to be trying to do his best to undermine everything good about the U.S. - he's even reviving nuclear arms testing. I mean - what kind of craziness is THAT? Especially when he's saying to everyone else that they CAN'T have nuclear weapons.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to get a viewpoint of someone that is a Bush supporter, to see if I can get any clear, coherent evidence of why someone would support him.

I haven't run into anyone that could do that yet, though...

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:26 am

Lyndon Johnson more or less completed our nation's promise to its people regarding voting and civil rights. He wasn't always such a great guy but these achievements stand out as singular in my mind as freedom loving and truly American.

He also widened the Vietnam conflict, however...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:40 am

I don't think there is a single Pres this entire century that did'nt have some sizable negative impact on the course of this nation. Seriously, you'de have to turn back the clock quite a ways.
boobs are life's fountain

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:14 am

ottokbre wrote:I don't think there is a single Pres this entire century that did'nt have some sizable negative impact on the course of this nation.
What about William Henry Harrison? Caught a cold on innaguration day and died 30 days later.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:17 am

concubine wrote:
not in my lifetime! although Carter was relatively innocuous (but i was 6 years old when he lost to Reagan, so can't say I was profoundly impacted by him at the time).
hahaha, yea, but carter was an IDIOT. for 3 years he had no chiefs of staff office, because he wanted to do everything HIMSELF. what a dumb idea that proved to be!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:22 am

bedbug wrote:
ottokbre wrote:I don't think there is a single Pres this entire century that did'nt have some sizable negative impact on the course of this nation.
What about William Henry Harrison? Caught a cold on innaguration day and died 30 days later.
touche' there! wish they all could lead such a great admin! :mrgreen:
boobs are life's fountain

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:27 am

http://www.bushin30seconds.org/aboutbush.html

Pretty much sums it up why I don't like the guy.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:28 am

hahaha, yea, but carter was an IDIOT. for 3 years he had no chiefs of staff office, because he wanted to do everything HIMSELF. what a dumb idea that proved to be!
Actually, Carter was trying to reduce the size of government. He was the only president who wanted to do this to start by reducing hiw own staff size. He was also our only president to actually reduce the size of gov't. Something to think about, especially if you are in an arguement with one of your conservative friends.

I have a hard time believing that every single president this (last) century has had a "sizable" negative impact (that is, more negative than postive). Theodore Roosevelt, FDR, Truman, and Johnson were all great presidents. Johnson screwed up by letting the generals run the war, but he was a badass on social issues. I think that if the Vietnam War hadn't happened Johnson would be thought of as one of our great presidents. I think four good presidents is all we get in a century. Before that we had Jackson, Polk, Lincoln.... I can't think of any others. Washington and Jefferson before that. Jeez, nine good presidents, total. We've done okay, though, considering.
Last edited by trashy on Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:38 am

trashy wrote:Actually, Carter was trying to reduce the size of government. He was the only president who wanted to do this to start by reducing hiw own staff size. He was also our only president to actually reduce the size of gov't. Something to think about, especially if you are in an arguement with one of your conservative friends.
understandable... but the COS office is important. an example of carter's foolishness regarding the issue: if you worked at the white house and actually wanted to sign up for a time to use the white house tennis court or whatever, you actually had to go to the oval office to find the sign up book on the president's desk, who handled it. he also tried handling so many affairs that are so basic and rudimentary, and wasted so much time bothering to read every piece of paper and answer as much mail as he could. these are things a president should not be spending time on when the COS office can handle it and allow him to effectively do his job, which is a long hard one as it is.

he was a peanut farmer and a nuclear engineer, so yes, he was very detailed oriented. and in support of my point, he was known to have a very do-everything personality. he wanted to be the one who took care of a lot of those tasks.